x

How do I customize who my marketing campaigns go to?

I am wanting to create a marketing campaigns but I want to pick which customers it goes to on my own. Specifically, I entered all my clients from the booking software I was previously using so Square doesn't know now who is new, hasn't booked in a while etc. I want to create campaign and then select which emails it does or doesn't go to but the only option I'm getting is "reachable" clients. I'm not sure what the additional $15 is for for directory pro and marketing if I can't integrate custom marketing focuses. Also it doesn't even recognize a new client that just booked yesterday and checked out today as a new client. Is it because I created a group called "massage clients" and now none of those clients are categorized by square into groups based on their last service? Help!  I'm finding this very frustrating and maybe not worth switching from my other booking software! Thanks!

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 18
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

You can create a custom client group in Directory then email them a marketing campaign. 

These are the steps to create a custom group and send a marketing campaign to it:

1- Go to Customers->Directory and click on "New Group"

2- In Directory add client to the group you created in step 1 by selecting each client, clicking on Edit->Edit Customer and under the "Groups" field add the group you created in Step 1

3- Go to Marketing, create an email campaign and under the "Audience" step, you will see the group you created in step 1 appear under "Custom". Select that group and then complete your marketing campaign

Alternatively if you have those clients in a spread-sheet, you can just import them directly in Marketing by going to Marketing, creating an email campaign and under the "Audience" step selecting "Import New Customers"

If you want find out new clients based on their last service:

1- Go to Customers->Directory->All

2- Select Sort by "Most Recent Visit"

I hope that answers your questions.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Alumni

Best Answer

You can create a custom client group in Directory then email them a marketing campaign. 

These are the steps to create a custom group and send a marketing campaign to it:

1- Go to Customers->Directory and click on "New Group"

2- In Directory add client to the group you created in step 1 by selecting each client, clicking on Edit->Edit Customer and under the "Groups" field add the group you created in Step 1

3- Go to Marketing, create an email campaign and under the "Audience" step, you will see the group you created in step 1 appear under "Custom". Select that group and then complete your marketing campaign

Alternatively if you have those clients in a spread-sheet, you can just import them directly in Marketing by going to Marketing, creating an email campaign and under the "Audience" step selecting "Import New Customers"

If you want find out new clients based on their last service:

1- Go to Customers->Directory->All

2- Select Sort by "Most Recent Visit"

I hope that answers your questions.

Message 2 of 18
Beta Member

Is it possible to send a marketing campaign to members of a smart list?  It seems like this should be possible, but it doesn't appear to be one of the options.  

Message 3 of 18
Alumni

You can send a marketing campaign to members of a smart list. The only exceptions are the loyalty based smart lists and we're fixing that today. I'll keep you posted once this issue is resolved.

Message 4 of 18
Beta Member

@RB, that's actually the one smart list I wanted to use.  When will it be available?

Message 5 of 18
Alumni

You can now send email marketing campaigns to the Loyalty Participants group

Message 6 of 18
Beta Member

@RB - I'm looking forward to trying it out.  FYI, I wonder if you can explain something to me - I'm very confused about the numbers I'm seeing.  Under Customers, I'm told there are 662 members of my loyalty smart list.  Under loyalty, I'm told there are 646 customers enrolled in the loyalty program.  And under Marketing, when I select the loyalty smart list for my marketing campaign, I'm told I have 155 members in that list.  What????  Thanks in advance for clarifying.  

Message 7 of 18
Alumni

646 is the right number of customers currently enrolled in your loyalty program. Unfortunately there is an issue with the smart list that results in showing more customers and we're working on fixing it. 

As for what you're seeing under marketing, 155 are the loyalty group members that provided you with their emails and so these are the only ones you can email. Everyone else probably just provided their phone numbers.

You could encourage more loyalty customers to share their emails with you via the new email collection feature.

Message 8 of 18

I currently have 500+ customers and having to ididvidualy edit each customer to create a new group to be extremly cumbersome and time consuming. Any plans to make this easier in the near future? Like being able to select all clients and just uncheck the clients you don't want to include in a marketing campaign? 

Message 9 of 18
Admin

Hi @jenlucas, welcome to the seller community!

Thanks for flagging this. We don't have access to specifics on feature updates related to the one you've described, but I will certainly share your experience with our Product Liaison team.

Out of curiosity, what kind of group are you needing to create? If you haven't tried it already, would the customer import tool work for now? Learn more about it in our Support Center: Import Contacts to Your Directory Online. Step four mentions how to add specific customers to a group using the import tool.

We're constantly working to improve our services based on seller feedback, and we'll circle back to this thread with any updates that may be useful for you.

Appreciate your patience, and let us know if anything else comes up.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 10 of 18
Beta Member

Hi, I'd like to send a coupon to all customers who visited the other day. If they weren't already in the system I had them enter their email address and create a customer record. Now, how can I retrieve this list so I can send the coupon?

Message 11 of 18
Admin

Hello @schemjo! I went ahead and moved your post here so you can read RB's Best Answer about sending a campaign to a specific group. (It's at the top of the first page!)

Feel free to post again if you have any other questions! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 12 of 18
Alumni

Hi @schemjo 

These steps should help you filter out the customers that you want, and send them a coupon.  I hope that answers your question. 

1- Go to customers->Directory

2- Click on "All Customers" and then click on +New Group to create an empty group

3- On the right hand side select Filter and choose the "Last Visited" filter

4- Click on the "Last Visited" filter and adjust the date range that you're looking for (For ex 1 day, 3 days, etc...)

5- Select the customers that you want to email then click on the "Add to Group" button on the  upper left corner

6- Click on "All Customers" and then select the group you created in step 1

7- Click on the "Send Email" button on the upper right corner

This will take you to the marketing product, where you can design your email and send it. 

A2oxBDvoz0.gif

Message 13 of 18

I'm looking at using the square marketing tools to send emails to customers. I have my regular customers and then a special sub group of members. 
I want to send a news email out to everyone but a special version to the members. Its easy to send a message to just the members but I cannot find a way to send it to everyone *not* in the member group.

Am I missing something or is this just not available?

Message 14 of 18
Square Community Moderator

Hi @chrisopeterson and welcome to the Community!

I merged your post with an existing thread on how to send your campaigns to a certain group of people. 

Check out @RB 's best answer above for the steps.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 15 of 18

Aloha, 

Is it possible to exclude a group from an email?  

I know it is possible to make a new group with less people in it but we have weekly subscribers, and one time buyers. I'd like to send two weekly emails. One to my whole list of reachables and one to weekly subscribers.  Ideally I'd love to be able to send to everyone who is reachable and be able to exclude weekly subscribers or even people who have ordered vs not. Creating individual groups for these is difficult because they change each week, with new customers being added.   The easiest way to do this is to be able to exclude groups, a basic function of so many email marketing programs. 

Is it really not possible?  

Message 16 of 18

I’m trying to figure out how to group email my customers. 

Message 17 of 18
Alumni

Hi there @DroolSchool + welcome to the Seller Community!

Are you using Square Marketing? You can follow these steps in order to create an email campaign and select a group of your customers as the recipients. Let us know if any questions come up as you get going here  

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 18 of 18