x

How do I set up an account for a non profit?

I was told that you cannot have Square for non profits.  Is this correct?  Can I set up an account for the organization?

Message 1 of 58
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

You can absolutely create an account for your non-profit!

The sign up process doesn't change between business types, however, you'll probably want to add your Employment Identification Number (EIN) during signup to help us identify you as a business (especially in regards to tax preparation). 

It's also always a good idea to activate the account using the name and Social Security Number of an individual who is a stable figure in the organization, as to avoid having to create a new account each time a person leaves.

Hope this helps, and any other general questions you might have are very welcome - just post them here!  

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 58
57 REPLIES 57

I am trying to find out how to set up a square account for our non profit. I don't want to use my ssn number. What should I do?

Message 2 of 58

I have the same question.  Unfortunately the answer provided by Square staff does not address your specific question, but is a generic answer about setting up a nonprofit account.   I think Square should accept the EIN rather than require a personal social security number.  

Message 3 of 58
Square

Best Answer

You can absolutely create an account for your non-profit!

The sign up process doesn't change between business types, however, you'll probably want to add your Employment Identification Number (EIN) during signup to help us identify you as a business (especially in regards to tax preparation). 

It's also always a good idea to activate the account using the name and Social Security Number of an individual who is a stable figure in the organization, as to avoid having to create a new account each time a person leaves.

Hope this helps, and any other general questions you might have are very welcome - just post them here!  

Sean
he/him/his
Message 4 of 58

Is there a way to put a link on my website and in my newsletters for people to go directly to my account to make a donation without me having to physically process it?

Message 5 of 58
Square

@Wag - Great question! If you're using our Online Store product, you can set up a donation page. Check out more details here. 👍

Sean
he/him/his
Message 6 of 58
Beta Member

Check out more details here. This thread is going in circles. I am trying to find out about NFP and that link doesn't say anything. Can you I receive more info. Also can a donation screen be made to receive donations at checkout. Like at a restaurant and when the pay the bill, like an email collection screen can come up. Can a link of a donation for NFP be added.

Message 7 of 58

In your answer, you stated that it would be necessary to create a new account if a person leaves, assuming I'm correctly understanding what was said. The way I interpret this is that Square cannot attach an account to an organization, only to a specific single individual. Is that correct?

If so, that is a great deal less than useful, because the organization itself is a legally distinct and accountable entity and thus should be able maintain the account, rather than a single individual. After all, non-profits hold bank accounts, so when personnel turnover occurs, one of the other financially-responsible individuals can alter bank account details. They don't have to create a new account.

There is no logical or legal reason why this shouldn't hold true for Square. Any clarification is welcome.

Thank you.

Message 8 of 58

I hav the same question. Can non profits set up with EIN only instead of a member's social security number. Membershiip changes, EIN does not. Several people have asked and I don't see a clear answer to this question. Thanks for your help.

Message 9 of 58

@jjudy I can provide some clarification on this subject. 

We are required by bank regulations and federal law to ask for the Social Security Number, date of birth, and full name for each account holder.

Even if you plan on using our services for your organization, we need that information to ensure the account holder is a citizen or a permanent resident of the U.S. There isn’t a way to create a Square account without providing a valid SSN.

You can add your organizations EIN at sign up for tax purposes. If you have already activated your account you can add your EIN in the tax forms tab on the Square Dashboard.  

For more information take a look at Square Tax Reporting and Form 1099-K.

I hope this clears up any questions you have! 😃

Message 10 of 58

Basically without an SSN (like so many incorporated companies that have branches in the US) then we're SOL? No one in my company has an SSN because we're Canadian, but our entire business, corporation and Wells Fargo accounts are legal and in the US. Why does only Square have this "federal law" but none of the banks? You need to get on the EIN train.

Message 11 of 58
Alumni

Hey @rdolmat - For US-based Square accounts, the SSN or TIN is indeed required. However, the required information differs if the account is being opened in Canada. You can learn more at Information Required to Sign Up.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 12 of 58

Are the fees still the same (2.75) for a non profit?  Are you able create reoccurring payments? 

Message 13 of 58
Square Community Moderator

Hi there! The fees are the same for non profits. 

Also, to set up a recurring payment you will need to check out our recurring invoices on your Square Dashboard. You can set them up to charge your customers until a set date and even add a credit card on file so it's an automatic payment. Check out the details here.

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 14 of 58

Hi there,

Have the non-profit rates increased? We are a 501(c)(3) being charged 2.9% + .30 per transaction. We raise money for other local non-profits in our area that support underserved communities. Thanks!

Message 15 of 58

I want to customize the receipt for the donation so that it clearly states that it is a charitable donation to the non-profit so that the customer can file it with their tax return.  Is there any way to customize the receipt?

Message 16 of 58
Square

You can do so from the Receipts page in your online Dashboard, @BA1. Sign in there and scroll down to the area for 'Custom Text.' Hope that helps!

Message 17 of 58

Can I convert a regular account to a non-profit account?

Message 18 of 58
Admin

Hey @wryc, thanks for reaching out and sorry for the delay!

If you still need to make any adjustments to your business type or MCC (Merchant Category Code), you'll need to get in touch with our Support Team. Be sure to include your login email and they'll help you get everything taken care of as soon as possible.

Hope this helps! 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 19 of 58

HOw can I verify that I am registered with ou as a non-profit? I recall doing the process but see no indication on my account.

Message 20 of 58
Admin

Hi @MiaKaliThea, great question! Our Support Team will have to have a closer look at this for you as well. To proceed, send them your login email directly and they'll get back to you with an update shortly.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 21 of 58