x

How do I set up an account for a non profit?

I was told that you cannot have Square for non profits.  Is this correct?  Can I set up an account for the organization?

Message 1 of 58
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

You can absolutely create an account for your non-profit!

The sign up process doesn't change between business types, however, you'll probably want to add your Employment Identification Number (EIN) during signup to help us identify you as a business (especially in regards to tax preparation). 

It's also always a good idea to activate the account using the name and Social Security Number of an individual who is a stable figure in the organization, as to avoid having to create a new account each time a person leaves.

Hope this helps, and any other general questions you might have are very welcome - just post them here!  

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 58
57 REPLIES 57

I already have an account with square in my name, however I would like to have it under my non profit if it allows me to not have such high processing fees. What should I do to connect or combone the two??

Message 43 of 58

Hello @WomenInVision

Currently we don't offer special processing rates for non-profit organizations. 

Message 44 of 58

I created an account a few years ago, under our current name, Crossways Theare. At the time, we were not a full-fledged nonprofit, so I didn't provide a non-profit EIN. Now we have received official and legal non-profit status. I have tried to change the EIN, but it just keeps saying number is already on file. I hesitate to create a new account since we want to keep our current name. 

Sean, what do you recommend in this situation.

Lyonel Laverde-Hansen.
Co-founder, Crossways Theatre. 

Message 45 of 58
Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Community, @Crosswayer1

Normally, you can add the EIN on your Dashboard under Account & Settings > Business > Tax Payer Information. 

With your status changing to a full non-profit, did the EIN number change too? If not, then you don't have to update. 

This portion of our site is linked with the IRS, so the information it will match whatever they have on file for your business. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 46 of 58

set up would not accept the EIN number. I did put my first and last names in

Message 47 of 58

Where can I add the EIN number after account has been established?

Message 48 of 58

You can edit your Tax Payer information from Account Settings > Business Information > Tax Forms

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community @ALFGV

JJ
Message 49 of 58

1. what features does square support for a  non profits.

Message 50 of 58

@NLCAmerican Check out the page that Sean mentioned in his previous post. It should answer most of the questions that you might have. 

Message 51 of 58

I am also workung to get an account set up for a non-profit and am disappointed to see a business model that requires a new account when the volunteer handling Square for the org changes.  Non-profits are run by volunteers, not paid employees.  If Square supports non-profit orgs, than there needs to be a way for a non-profit account to change the personal required info, name, SSN, address, etc when the account responsibilities are handed to the next volunteer to manage. Having to set up new accounts loses history, and creates a tracking nightmare for the non profit trying to support their community needs.  Right now for our purposes, we would require a new account every year. Not an effective business model....js

Message 52 of 58

Hello Everyone,

I am currently the Treasurer and have a sqaure that I take payment on.  A new person will be elected into my positon in 2 weeks.  Do I need to order a new square or can they use mine?   The account information will remain the same.

Carol

Message 53 of 58
Admin

@cwilliams3765 I've moved your post to this thread, I think you'll find Tom's answer on page 3 helpful!

At this time, we aren't able to transfer account ownership from person to person. However, we do have a process outlined for organizations that may change leadership. Learn more about it here: Can I Transfer Ownership of a Square Account?

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 54 of 58

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Can our church use TIN instead of SSN

Good Afternoon,

I am trying to set up square for our church, which is a business. How am I able to set up account with a TIN and no ones specific birth date? I entered the last four of our TIN ans I entered a fake birthday because it said it was required. Now it’s asking for a full social. Seeing that the church is actually a business no one technically owns it so, how do we go about without a birthday and ssn? 

Message 55 of 58
Super Seller

To set up your account a person has to sign up, be it the CFO or pastor or elder so that the government can confirm it is a real person per the Patriot ACT.  once it is set up, or during setup it has been like 8 years since I signed up, you can either enter or change the TIN or EIN.

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/4955-sign-up-for-square-point-of-sale

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5380-update-your-taxpayer-identification-number

Message 56 of 58

I want to take credit cards for new non- profit community radio station, but during our first year we will not yet have our 501 C 3 status. We are passing donations to the new station through a 601 C 3 Non Profit which allows donors to give to our station but receive a document for tax deduction.    thanks!  JS

Message 57 of 58

Hi @jvtsargent and welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to a thread where this question has been answered already.

Check out the Best Answer above for details. 

In the future, don't hesitate to search your question first here or on the Support Center for your quickest answer too!

Ashley C
Message 58 of 58