x

Feature Request: More than 2 decimal points for tracking inventory

Feature Request: More than 2 decimal points for tracking inventory

What is the status of allow at least three decimal points in items?  2 is not sufficient.  For instance if you are billing for mileage teh IRS rate is 0.535 per mile.  Now the system rounds it up to 0.54 which is not correct.

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How are others that price by a decimal quantities working their charges?

No updates to this functionality at this time, @Zapeng. We'll update here if that changes in the future. Thanks for posting.

38 Comments

I sell fabric to the nearest 1/8th of a yard. I need to be able to enter decimals to 3 numbers. .125, .375, etc.

Maybe if everyone also sent emails requesting this feature to contact support it would help.  I am wondering how much of community support is really followed.  This request can't be that hard as the math formula programed does not change only the quantity of items is expanded to include a decimal and 2 more digits or possible 3 for those who do calculations for things like mileage (which is how the IRS wants it done).  I did send an email and have gotten a reply so maybe it will help.

Beta Member

Of all the request for this feature, it looks like everyone would be happy with the ability to input a decimal up to 3 places. This is available under cost and is basic calculator programming. It is not as involved as the invoicing features that users are asking for and needed. The program already multiplies the quantity by the cost which is a fractional number. The math is there. The field needs to allow the fractional number. 

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "Decimal Places in Unit Costs" The author has been notified via email.

I have a liquor business.    We buy cases of product.    When entering in a Purchase Order, the invoice may say $47.33 per case of 12 bottles.    I sell the liquor by the bottle so my item is a bottle and the unit cost would be $47.33 divided by 12 or $3.944167 per bottle.   I can only enter in two decimal places so I am forced to enter in $3.94 and then Square totals up that line to be 12 times $3.94 or $47.28 instead of $47.33.   After several line items, and different variances, the PO cost to supplier and the PO total in Squre can be different by several dollars.   This would be solved if I could enter unit costs in as three or four decimal places.

I know that several people have written in wanting Square to do something similar with regards to quantities when billing hours or product by weight.   This is similar and I am afraid I am going to have the same answer.

If it is the same answer, I wish Square would step up.    This is a database and there is no reason you shouldn't be able to change the number of decimal places for a specific category whether it be quantity or unit price.   Seems like a fix that could be done pretty quickly.   

If we can't do this, it would be very easy to start looking somewhere else.    I think we are still in our 30 day trial period.

My question was a little different than others although similar.   I was asking why can't unit pricing be taken out to extra decimals.    Why does it have to be limited to two decimal places?    

This makes me think that you really weren't reading my email.    I specifically said I wanted my unit prices to be extended out to more decimal places because that's what my suppliers use.

Beta Member

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Mantissa

How do I or can I extend my mantissa? I have items that are priced by the square inch that extends to .xxxx. I sell them in standard and random sizes. I am starting to set it up so I can SKU and track each of the 800+ items. When I set up the modifiers up for each item, the standard price is not a problem but the random price rounds up. Can one of the modifier options have a variable price? 

Super Seller

there is not a way to have more than 2 decimal places, thanks for broadening my vocabulary I had never heard that term 😀.

as for modifiers they have to be a set price.

I'm setting variable pricing for a number of items. Our current pricing is often expressed down to the tenth of a cent. For example, for a quantity that falls between 100-499, we would charge $0.077. From 500-999 we would charge 0.074. This seems like a minor adjustment but is important to the model. 

Is it possible to enter prices in this way?

Has there been discussed lately in changing ot a fraction cost. I am a printer and we have a lot of items that use a fraction price. For example our business cards are .049 per card.

Square, You have not fixed the decimal pricing. It still only rounds up to the nearest cent. for example: I sell business cards for .0495 per card, but you insist I sell them for .50 which will make the product a higher price and makes me a liar if I was to send that invoice incorrectly. So I either need to discount the product or Make new items for Miscellaneous Printing, Miscellaneous signs and so on. That way I just put a set (1) product price. (1000 business cards:$49) and I can still see what the department is selling more. Please fix this. It has been broken for over 6 months and I have reported a few times. I don't just have 1 product that uses pricing like that I have 1000s and its just not my company. Other invoicing and bookkeeping applications can do this and the total is rounded out to the nearest sent at the end price.