x

Can I integrate Square with Squarespace?

I am having an account on square-up and want to display all the Items(products) of my square-up on my squarespace site.

so can anyone guide or instruct me to implement the above mentioned functionality...?

Message 1 of 54
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Can I accept Square payments on Squarespace

Hi @Michaelv1,

You are correct about Squarespace using Stripe for credit card processing. According to Square, "Although you are unable to link Square directly with your Squarespace website, Squarespace developers can embed Ecwid to accept payments with Square. Read more about integrating with Ecwid." It will take a little bit to set up, but this should allow you to have Square process your transactions.

Alternatively, you could move your store over to Square Online Store/Weebly.

2 Best Answers

Best Answer

Hello!

Happy to summarize (and noting that  my client uses Square for in-person transactions and is very happy with the purhcase flow: Doesnt want a different POS solution): It was very tempting to try and connect these systems in this way, beacuse they both existed and work well for what they do, but at the end of the day it isn't work the risks, uncertainties, or headaches. As a general matter, this is mostly because SquareSpace is pretty locked-down, which is totally fine if the features they offer are a good fit for your customer's website hosting needs. Remember, it looks like there was a workable solution on the SquareSpace side and the closed it because they don't want you doing this for all of the obvious and annoying reasons. So maybe we're down the wrong rabbit hole...

If SquareSquare (Website) is working well for your client outside of this. Keep it.

If Square (POS/Checkout/(basic inventory)) is working well for your client outside of this. Keep it. They appear to make it easy for 3rd parties to supply reliable integrations.... because they understand that they don't completely support your customer's use-case either!!!

If your customer is trying to build and grown an online store, they need one more product (like BigCommerce, Shopify, WooCommerce, etc). It's one more subscription, but the alternatives are effectively dead-ends.

We did the following:

• Created a store on Big Commerce
  • Used the Square plugin for Big Commerce to enable synchronization between the two systems (this works well), to give the client an early preview, to get Square inventory data into Big Commerce (because you should probably handle the migration of existing products from Square to Big Commerce in a semi-manual way... Big Commerce should become the primary source of truth/managing interface for inventory (stock counts synchronize back from Square to BC very fast, so sales on the floor and in the store via a single Square store are fine) so this is an Awesome time to do a little cleanup and to create consistency in the product representations, which is usually exciting for the client), AND getting the minimal store up will give you time to...
  • [Important to start early and don't tell them until it works]: Set up, wait, test, test again: the client's redirect from "https://shop.squarespacewebsitename.com" or whatever to the Big Commerce store (their docs are pretty alright). We didn't even have to jump to the expensive plan for https to work all the way through, though some historical docs and comments suggest that it used to be necessary. Thanks be to the HTTPS-everywhere people!

I pulled the Square Data into Big Commerce so I could start from a correctly formatted csv for endless rounds of downloading it from BC, making local changes via a little Python framework that I wrote to get the job done and to make it easier to a) incrementally sanitize the product data, b) respect the constraints of the BC csv upload system (The category column must have a value for each product, but prouducts in multiple categories need to have that information represented as a single delimited string, example), and uploading it again to see how the everything looked.

N.B. You have to enable synchronization to initiate the first Square => Big Commerce copy. Just be sure to disable it before you start uploading test/dev product csvs or testing your migration tool!

Cheers!

Jonathan

View Best Answer >

Message 25 of 54

Best Answer

Hi @Michaelv1,

You are correct about Squarespace using Stripe for credit card processing. According to Square, "Although you are unable to link Square directly with your Squarespace website, Squarespace developers can embed Ecwid to accept payments with Square. Read more about integrating with Ecwid." It will take a little bit to set up, but this should allow you to have Square process your transactions.

Alternatively, you could move your store over to Square Online Store/Weebly.

View Best Answer >

Message 47 of 54
53 REPLIES 53

This is best explained throught the online guide found here:

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5111-set-up-and-edit-your-online-store

As you develop specific questions about setup, please reach out and we will do our best to guide you. As with all new things, there is a bit of a learning curve, but this one is not steep. Good Luck!

Message 2 of 54
Square

@Fresh1 - Thanks for sharing the link! 

@rockyy - What Fresh1 shared was a link to our Online Store offering. You could use this as an alternative to your Squarespace site. While we don't offer a direct integration with Squarespace sites, it's definitely a feature request I've seen from our sellers. I'll be sure to update this thread if that changes in the feature. 

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 3 of 54

My customers keep complaining about my only current option on my Squarespace Site which is PayPal (I'm also starting to complain because PayPal hasn't paid me yet). I would use Stripe, but my website is considered to be a "high risk". I really like Square, however I don't have the time to recreate my services and retail pages with the online templates and would just rather use Square for checkout only. Has anyone ever coded something like this? I'm tired of having to go in and create new e-commerce payment accounts and I seriously need help with this. 

Message 4 of 54

Has the ability to integrate Square as the payment method on a Squarespace eCommerce site been added? I have a Squarespace eCommerce site and love how it is set up, but would love to be able to use Square as my payment method so whenever I have pop-up shops, I can have my online inventory accurately updated. Could anyone tell me if this is possible/ If so, how can I add Square to my Squarespace site? Thanks so much!!
Message 5 of 54

This has not been done and likely may not given what I have read about direct competition. The three alternatives I have come up with are:

1. using Ecwid's $99 a month plan to bridge this gap

2. use another POS service that may possibly work with Squarespace. The closet I have come is to use Shopify's cheapest plans that may run about $30 to $40 a month, includes their POS system which you would switch to, and Shopify allows you to embed products from your Shopify account into a Squarespace site. 

3. wait for the newly public Commerce API to make the rounds and have someone do this kind of bridge, either with Square, or another POS. 

I hate that these are the only options, and I am in your same situation, but alas. 

Message 6 of 54

Hi @homegrown1 @mobiustheory 

Just want to announce that Trunk has just integrated with Squarespace’s new Commerce Inventory API!

Trunk @ https://trunkinventory.com is centralized inventory management software that syncs stock levels in real-time between your Etsy, Shopify, Faire, eBay, and Amazon sales channels. It also supports smart bundles and kitting which is the feature that you need to solve your problem. We're now in the process of building a Square integration and want to know if you'd be interested!

Message 7 of 54

@axsuul I am very interested. Please let me know how I can know when the Square connection is built out. I am looking over the pricing plan and it is a lot more reasonable given my size right now. I would like to know more but I can peruse the website. 

Message 8 of 54

Hi @mobiustheory thanks for your interest! I can ping you here once we're ready to onboard you or you can go to trunkinventory.com and click "Request access" to get on the list 👍

Message 9 of 54

@homegrown1 @mobiustheory 

Excited to announce that Trunk's Square integration is now live! This means you can now sync inventory in real-time between Square and Squarespace 🎉

https://www.trunkinventory.com

Message 10 of 54
Square

Hi again @rockyy, if you currently have a content-only site on Squarespace and you'd like to add an e-commerce function - our integation with Ecwid can act as a plug-in / shopping cart app for your existing Squarespace site! If you have fewer than 10 items, Ecwid is also free. Here is how you would go about doing that once you've set up your eCommerce site with Ecwid:

1. Create a new page on your Squarespace site.

2. Choose Page Content block and Edit option.

3. Add Code Content Block to the page. To do that click on + Sign in the right top corner of Page Content block, scroll down to “More” section and choose “ </> Code”

4. Generate code for the Product Browser widget. Or you can find it in your Ecwid store Control Panel -> Dashboard -> “Create Store” step -> choose Yes, I have a website and Other platform options and you will see Product Browser code.

5. Copy and paste this code to "Add Code Content" block on your Squarespace site page. You may see a notice that Embedded scripts are disabled in Squarespace while you are logged in, however you can preview the script in Safe mode.

6. Save the changes. You can preview the store right in Squarespace administration panel or on the live site.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions. Hopefully we're able to offer a direct integration with Squarespace in the future! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 11 of 54

I'd be interested in using my Square account with my Squarespace or Wordpress sites, but you need to create your own Square plugin. I don't trust a third party plugin for eCommerce. Do you have plans to create your own?

Message 12 of 54
Beta Member

I only went with Squarespace as I believed it was created by Square...  as I’m sure many others have done as well...  seems misleading and almost fraudulent 

Message 13 of 54

I did the same thing! Now I can’t connect Square to Squarespace and it’s frustrating. I was trying to streamline everything thinking I was using all Square services. I do not want to have to put items into inventory twice. I just want to import my items from Square into my Squarespace website 

Message 14 of 54

One killer caveat to using Ecwid to integrate between Square POS and Squarespace:

Live stock calibration between your Square items inventory and what’s displayed/available in your Squarespace site store is only available in Ecwid’s ***$100/month*** plan. 

Squarespaces is easily the best value, most intuitively helpful and supportive drag-and-drop website builder. Square POS is the same for physical sales and inventory.

Of the web platforms that currently natively integrate Square for live inventory, Weebly (just purchased by Square) is easily the poor, poor cousin of website builders; it’s denuded of functions, put together so badly it’s barely standing, seems determined to crash your browser, and its support is borderline hostile in its sullen approach to sharing information. Big Commerce is laser-focused on online commerce, so, like Weebly, relies on freemium (ad-supported) 3rd party plug ins to give your site basic functions that Squarespace revels in. Square’s online store website builder is only available in the US, and reads as a basic function that satisfies only the least demanding of online sellers. 

I was rapt to read of Ecwid’s bridging of Square POS and Squarespace, enabling the best of both worlds, even more so of the 10 items free. But this solution glosses over Ecwid’s USD100/mth premium to fire up live inventory syncing between your Square item inventory and Squarespace online store availability. 

Without this live inventory integration, the requirement for something like Ecwid reduces dramatically, and your options broaden. 

I’d be stoked to be corrected on this reading of Ecwid and be able to sync inventory between Square and Squarespace cost-effectively, or even hear of direct integration between the two, and free me from the hell of Weebly. 

Message 15 of 54

Gr3g, 

Thanks for detailing this because it is essentially the single definitive answer for this scenario.

I have done a great deal of research over 2 years, and have experimented with Ecwid's free plans with my Square and Squarespace accounts and got exactly where you landed.

I am at that point where spending an additional $100 for that integration is not cost effective for me (since I get so few orders online and updating inventory manually is easier than footing $100 monthly). The only case where this would be a problem is if during a show, I can sell the last of a particular item while it also sells via the online store. Or this happening overnight. And otherwise I am tied to a device and this is far from automated. Right now I just use the Squareup online store and that works fine, but the design potential of that site is so extremely limiting that it breaks my heart to have them leave my branded site for checkout. 

With other workarounds, one idea was just manually syncing inventory on a schedule. That or hire a developer to truly make an API work but that would cost way more than a couple years of paying $100 a month, I think. 

There is this: https://zapier.com/apps/square/integrations/squarespace

But all that does is make a customer. Further integrations probably aren't possibly due to the reason stated elsewhere in this thread, that the two are essentially competitors and it won't truly ever be "easy" or free to make this work.

My real plan is to justify the $100 a month and be done with it, since from what I have seen would truly be the best of both worlds. 

Message 16 of 54

Thanks @mobiustheory

I read that Shopify, which does pretty comprehensive eCommerce (decent site templates and such), have just launched Point Of Sale hardware that would mean realtime integration of instore and online inventory.

https://www.shopify.com/pos

Seems like someone listened 🙂

Message 17 of 54

@Gr3g Understand your frustrations with existing solutions out there.

just want to announce that Trunk has just integrated with Squarespace’s new Commerce Inventory API!

Trunk @ https://trunkinventory.com is centralized inventory management software that syncs stock levels in real-time between your Etsy, Shopify, Faire, eBay, and Amazon sales channels. It also supports smart bundles and kitting. Furthermore, pricing starts at only  $19/month and is determined by the amount of orders per month you do.

We're now in the process of building a Square integration and want to know if you'd be interested! Once we complete this integration, you'll then be able to sync inventory between Square and Squarespace in real-time.

Message 18 of 54

Has the ability to integrate Square as the payment method on a Squarespace eCommerce site been added? I have a Squarespace eCommerce site and love how it is set up, but would love to be able to use Square as my payment method so whenever I have pop-up shops, I can have my online inventory accurately updated. Could anyone tell me if this is possible/ If so, how can I add Square to my Squarespace site? Thanks so much!!

Message 19 of 54

Does anyone know how to redeem gift cards customers purchase on my squarespace page on my business square POS? 

Message 20 of 54

I do technical consulting work. One of my clients is using Square to manage inventory for a collection of items that are sold in a physical shop. She wants to put these items up for sale through her website, which happens to be hosted on SquareSpace. Apparently, there used to be a 'Product Embed' option that supported this use case pretty well, but it has been removed (ostensibly supplanted by the various new e-commerce integrations).

After looking for a good workaround and not finding anything promising, I decided to call Square directly. I just spoke to a Customer Service Representative who told me the following:

1. There will never be an official integration that lets one put Square Items up for sale on a SquareSpace page, because Square considers SquareSpace to be a direct competitor. 
  2. Even if one develops a custom integration through Square's Transaction API, like you would do for a totally custom website, it will not work if the website is on SquareSpace because Square will prevent it from working.

Can someone from the company verify whether this information is correct? I hope the customer service representative that I spoke to was mistaken.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Message 21 of 54