x

How do you add cash to a gift card for a donation and not have to pay for it upfront

We wanted to give a donation to a cancer fundraiser and needed to add $200 to the card.  We did not want to be charged and pay through our company since it is a donation and when the customer uses the gift card we indicate the gift card is for services by the owner.  How do we process this without having to go through the usual procedure of payment? What we are trying to avoid is having the company pay to add $200 to a giftcard used for donation as the donation is really for a haircut with the owner.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller Alumni

You can do it as a discount of $200.00.  For a donation, I have created a certificate on the computer and print it on certificate paper (letter size).  Then I can add details of what I am donating and how to redeem it.  For the non-profit, it provides a more valuable prize than yet another gift card.  It also represents our business better.

Message 2 of 3

Hello @jennjones24 and @RHatch

If you're trying to load a Square Gift Card you will have to create a transaction on Point of Sale. If you don't want to charge a card, you can choose cash as a tender option or other. This way the gift card is loaded with no money actually being charged from your business. Your reports will reflect this as a $200 dollar sale though. I recommend adding a note to the transaction, so you can reference it when balancing your books! 

P.S. At the time of the sale just tap on the words current sale to add a note! 😀

Message 3 of 3