x

Square Register: Can I add a longer cable from the customer facing display to the register?

I read that the cable supplied is 40", is it a cable that can be changed for a longer one? USB, cat 5 or other?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Super Seller

I do not believe that you can change this cable.  @pessosices, is this something that is a standard cable?

Message 2 of 11
Super Seller Alumni

Hmm, good question. It looks like it's a Micro USB cable, but the angle & shape of where the plug fits in would be difficult to replicate. It's a recessed port with a right angle, specially molded to fit inside & under the Register itself and inside & under the customer facing display.

So maybe, but difficult?

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 3 of 11

Has anyone came up with a longer alternative to the issued cable?  I need about 6 feet, and the supplied cable is just over half that amount. 

Message 4 of 11

If they offer one, we would like one also. Mallard Lake

Message 5 of 11
Alumni

Hey @Seaneaton1 and @mallardlake!

Unfortunately, we don't have any longer cables available, but I can tell you that it is a USB micro-B to micro-B cable. As @pessosices mentioned, the USB plugs are angled. For a visual, take a look at What's in the Box in the Support Center.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 6 of 11

This is ridiculous.  There should be a longer cable available.  I have a drive thru coffee shop and the customer display can't reach the customer so they can't swipe their own card and/or leave a tip on a credit card sale.  

Message 7 of 11
Beta Member

In times like these, it is silly that Square can't offer a longer cable, or at least suggest a specific one.

Square, please make this a priority, so we can take all reasonable measures to protect the health of our customers and ourselves. We are not asking for anything for free, just a simple upgrade that we can purchase.

Message 8 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for adding your voice here, @glyph - we hear you. There are undoubtedly other cables that would be compatible with the Register and Terminal that could extend your display capabilities, we cannot fully recommend one since most are untested to confirm full compatibility.

If this changes, we will update all here. Thanks, again!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 11
Super Seller Alumni

Hey @Joe 

The issue with using a third party cable would be the connection point - the cable & the connection point under the CFD & Register is a very specific size & shape that I don't think would be able to find anywhere that would actually fit into that spot.

A Square-made longer cable would basically be the only workable solution - and would definitely be a welcome addition!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 10 of 11

At the very least they could test out extension cables and give a recommendation on some that would work. Defending the lack of help or urgency from on this when we are asked to keep 6 feet apart is negligent at best. This should be a priority from them and I'm honestly not sure why it's not and why they wouldn't be testing. Sponsor me to buy a bunch of cables and test them and I'd be happy to do the research for them and the rest of the community. That's really all they would need. 

Message 11 of 11