x

Is my Square account secure?

Between the hours of 9:00 pm EST and midnight, last night, I had over 150 emails from Square stating that someone was trying to log into my account, from all over the world: continental US, Hawaii, Thailand, UK, etc.

Did anyone else get these?  Security breach?

I've unlinked my bank account and changed my password, but this has me very concerned about using this app again.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Square Community Moderator

That does sound a bit alarming. However, so long as they were not able to access your Square Account, you should be ok. 

You took the right steps by changing your password. 

We might need our Account Services team to take a look at this for you just to be safe.

Reach out to our Support Team directly and we can get you in contact with the right team. 

Message 2 of 12

I did reach out to the Support Team this morning, but have heard nothing so far.

Message 3 of 12

Hang tight and we should get back to you as soon as possible. 

Message 4 of 12

Still no communication from the Support Center.  Extremely concerned that someone already got my banking information by the time I noticed all the activity.

I have already cancelled the debit card associated with this app, but unless I hear from someone and feel comfortable with the security I will not be using this app again.

Message 5 of 12

Sorry for the delay.

I've passed your message to the appropriate team and you should hear back shortly. 

If you don't hear back, send me a Personal Message and I can help out further. 

Message 6 of 12

The web site address says it is not secure. I need to send an invoice but I don't want to sign in. I've sent a message to Square support but haven't heard back yet. Is there something I can do now?

Message 7 of 12
Alumni

Hey there @rocn4god - thanks for flagging this. Maintaining your account security is important and I think it is good that you chose to err on the side of caution.

Is there something specific indicating that you are not on our secure page? When you look at your web browser from your online Dashboard, you should see the web address begin with https:// - please do let us know your specific concerns so we can address them. 

Message 8 of 12

The web address begins with a red triangle with an exclamation point in the middle and in red it says Not Secure and then also in red it has the https:// with a red line through it. Is it a problem with my system or yours? Other web pages are secure such as my gmail.

Thanks

Message 9 of 12
Alumni

That definitely is cause for alarm. It is possible that it is a phishing site with a similar web address to Square. The web address to access your Dashboard is https://squareup.com/dashboard/ - copy and paste this into your web browser to see what happens. 

If you get the same result, make sure that your operating system and web browser are both up to date. Here in the office, I use Google Chrome and I do get the green 🔒 notification. Please let me know!

Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 3.34.39 PM.png

Message 10 of 12

Yes! This time it was secure even though its the same address I keyed in before.

Thank you!

Message 11 of 12
Alumni

Hi everyone - I wanted to let you know that we're hosting a live Q&A with our security expert on Aug. 16th. If you have any questions about Square and security, post them here! Our Head of Security will answer them on the 16th. 

Message 12 of 12