x

"An invalid character was detected in row: 1." inventory import error

I'm trying to import my initial inventory, and I keep getting the following message:  "There is 1 error in your document. If you need to make any changes, re-import your CSV.  An invalid character was detected in row: 1."  Row 1 is the column headers that were downloaded directly from the square export tool.  I did not change any of the info in this row, nor delete any columns.  It would be really helpful if it would tell me what character, etc.  I've tried multiple times to re-download, and then deleted special characters in various cells, but not in the first row.  Please help.  It's taking forever just to get a practice CSV imported so I can see how this works.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Super Seller

I have not used the inventory import spreadsheet but it could be referring to row one of actual content rather than row 1 the headers.  

Message 2 of 23
Square

@VanKalkerFarms - Thanks for the advice, the error codes do try to help find the source of the issue. 

@llij96 - Sorry to hear about the trouble! Have you tried downloading a new .CSV. It sounds like something may have been inadvertently changed. Also, if you could share a screenshot of the .CSV, I'd be happy to take a peek for you. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 3 of 23

i've tried redownloading multiple times.  kept trying to tweak it to take out special characters that i thought might've been throwing it off, such as slashes, dashes, and commas.  sorry, couldn't figure out how to get a screenshot, but copied and pasted cell content below . . .

Token Item Name Description Category SKU Variation Name Price Current Quantity Amora Wellness & Gifts LLC New Quantity Amora Wellness & Gifts LLC Stock Alert Enabled Amora Wellness & Gifts LLC Stock Alert Count Amora Wellness & Gifts LLC Tax - Sales Tax (6%)
  Chakra Bracelet Link w/ stones A-302 Jewelry 726078901758   179.89 Yes 1 no   Yes
  Bracelet Copper S-Chainw/Magnets A-606 Jewelry 726078903578   7.49 Yes 2 no   Yes
  Bracelet 2 Metal W/Magnets A-607 Jewelry 726078903585   7.49 Yes 2 no   Yes
Message 4 of 23
Square

@llij96 - Thanks for taking the time to share, it's a little tricky to identify issues in this format. Would you mind reaching out directly? A supporter can collect a copy of your .CSV, and then work with you one on one. If need be, they can also escalate your case to our engineering team. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Message 5 of 23

I reached out.  No response yet.  Another user mentioned using whole numbers in the price field.  Should I not be entering a decimal in that field?  So if the price is $9.99, should I just be entering 999?

Message 6 of 23

inventory screen shot.JPGinventory screen shot 2.JPG

Message 7 of 23
Square

@llij96 - Thanks for sharing that screenshot. I couldn't see anything amiss. I went ahead and exported a fresh copy of your .CSV, and then reimported it and didn't see any error messages. Would you mind trying to export a new .CSV from the Square Dashboard, and then copy and paste the rows from the old .CSV into your new one? Also, decimals in the price field are A okay. 👌🏻

Sean
he/him/his
Message 8 of 23

I tried what you said, then Modify items, and import and still get the same error.  Should I be rewriting instead of modifying?  Also, do you think the browswer makes a difference?  I'm using Chrome.

Message 9 of 23
Square

@llij96 - Thanks for the follow up, and sorry to hear about the continued trouble! The browser shouldn't make a difference (especially because I am using Chrome). It may be worth trying to cleared cached files, as well as using the replace option. Let me know if that helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 10 of 23

Nope, cleared cache, and tried both the modify and replace options, too.  I even downloaded a new CSV that only has that one item listed and then tried reimporting without doing anything to it, and I still get the same error.  😞

Message 11 of 23
Square

@llij96 - I requested your .CSV over email. Let me know when you've had a chance to reply to my message with it. Also, what software, and it's version, are you using to edit our template? 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 12 of 23

I replied to your email a couple hours ago.  I'm using Apache Open Office 4.1.3.  Thanks.

Message 13 of 23
Square

@llij96 - Awe! I think that may be our issue. We really only explicity support common spreadsheet software like Excel and Numbers. Would it be possible for you to try using one of these? When I opened your spreadsheet using Excel on my side - it was very jumbled. 😕  You could also create the items directly from your Dashboard if that would be more feasible. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 14 of 23

OK, good to know.  I think I might be able to access Excel online (I don't have it right now).  Not sure I've heard of Numbers.  Thanks for your help.  Probably would be helpful to others to have an FAQ with all the different things to be aware for this issue--and others.  You have videos and instructions for the basics, but lots of us need more than that.  Thanks again.

Message 15 of 23
Square

@llij96 - I agree, in fact, I've already requested to have it added to the Help Center article. On a side note, Numbers is like Excel, but for Macs. Thanks for working through this with me! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 16 of 23

Hi Sean! I'm gettingthe same issue is there a way you would be willing to help me?

Message 17 of 23
Square

@j12 - Sure! Can you please share what browser and spreadsheet application you are using? Can you also share a screenshot of this section of your spreadsheet? 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 18 of 23

Hello Sean, I was just wondering if you could help me with this issue also. Im using Excel and it tells me when I try to to input the costs that "An invalid charcter was detected in row 17"Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 12.43.39 PM.png

Message 19 of 23
Square

Hi @HealthyPetMarke and sorry to hear about the trouble! Since you're using Square Retail, we'll want to get you connected with those folks right away. They're experts on this feature and will mostly likely want you to forward a copy of your .CSV. Would you mind reaching out directly? Thanks a ton! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 20 of 23

Thanks for the help @Sean I have reached out to them, just waiting on a response back from square support. 

Message 21 of 23