x

Am I allowed to use square for garage/yard sales?

Am I allowed to use square for garage/yard sales?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Alumni

Absolutely! You'll need to have a verified bank account linked in order to get the funds deposited to your account. The linking process takes a solid 5 business days, and we can't speed it up, so make sure that you set up your Square account at least a week ahead of time so there will be no deposit issues. The app will walk you through how to link your bank account, but here's a help article just in case: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/3896

Have fun! 😄

Message 2 of 6

Thanks for sharing the info. I don't have a business, but would like to use square at the yearly yard neighborhood yardsale and when I sell a craft to friends and family. If I use square, does this need to be reported yearly for taxes? Super new newbie here..... 

Message 3 of 6
Square

@Tabitha - While we can't speak to your individual tax obligations, you'd want to sync with your tax person for that sort of advice,  we only prepare 1099-K forms for the IRS for those sellers who process over $20,000 and over 200 credit card payments (cash excluded) per calendar year before January 31. Hope this helps!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 4 of 6

This threshold has changed to $600 annually, correct? I researched garage sales and found this forum 

Message 5 of 6
Beta Member

Hi there Emilyjane,

You can use Square however, there are credit card processing fees to consider and reporting tax details ... bottom line - only accept cash for your Garage sales - else, using a transaction processing service may end up costing you some additional funds and other unknown consequences unless you are a registered legal business.  If you're not planning on doing additional events (garage sales, etc.) then, CASH is your best option.  NOTE:  Yep, accepting credit cards is tempting and quite easy however, there is a paper trail and the IRS will be watching - best to consider your future !  Just some thoughts from a past life (of course ... your choice to consider).

jk

Message 6 of 6