x

Is there an option for loyalty points to be earned on specific menu items only?

I own a coffe house and need to set loyalty points for drinks purchased.  Not total spent. Is there a way to set points to be rewarded only on specific menu items? Like:1 punch per drink ordered?  I can't used the total spent because we also sell merchandise. I don't want to give rewards for anything but drinks. 

Message 1 of 95
2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Is there an option for loyalty points to be earned on specific menu items only?

Hi y'all!

You can now exclude specific items or categories so that customers are only earning points on the items you select โœจ

Learn more by heading to this post by @Helen where she outlines the details ~ as always, let us know if questions come up.

Verified Answer

Re: prevent rewards from being used on specific items

While it isn't currently possible to exclude specific items from loyalty redemption per-say, you do have some adjustable settings when editing the Redeeming Rewards portion of your Loyalty program, @kaliann91.

Instead of selecting Discount Entire Sale, you could choose any of the other options as Reward Types to ensure that the items you do not want to be discounted will not be included as a reward. I hope this helps!

1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi y'all!

You can now exclude specific items or categories so that customers are only earning points on the items you select โœจ

Learn more by heading to this post by @Helen where she outlines the details ~ as always, let us know if questions come up.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 95 of 95
94 REPLIES 94

I am preparing to implement the new loyalty program but have a few questions first:

1.  Category Eligibility:  I am a coffee shop selling products from a $2.00 cup of coffee to a $2,000 espresso machine.  I would like to offer multiple punches in a single transaction, but how can I exclude more expensive items.  I currently offer 1 star for $10 with a $10 reward after 10 stars.  I certainly do not intend to offer a $200 reward for the sale of an espresso machine.  This would effectively make everything in the store 10% off at all times.  I am trying to reward for 'Loyalty' meaning customers that come in frequently and buy coffee, food or beans.  Any way to address this?

2.  Double Dipping:  Stars are awarded for putting money on a gift card.  Stars are awarded for purchases using that gift card.  Any way to prevent this double award?

3.  I need to upgrade prior to Oct 1 to prevent a suspension of service.  How to I activate the 'upgrade'?  I also do not see the toggle to allow more than one punch per transaction or the toggle to make some locations inactive.  Is this functionality available on the dashboard on my office computer or only on the store register?

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 95
Square

@Vincent - Happy to help advise! Here you go:

1. Great question. As things our currently configured, it sounds like it may be best for you to use the "By Visit" method for earning loyalty stars. This would remove the issue for high price items (albeit not satisfy your desire to offer multiple stars). Alternatively, you could make a disclaimer that high price items don't apply, and not allow phone numbers to be entered for these items at the register. I'll also be sure to document this feature requests - it definitely a great one. 

2. While this is technically the case, the gift card product is intended to be given as a gift. While possible, I haven't seen this issue reported by any sellers. You'd most likely have to depend on your employees to police this issue at the register for now.

3. You can upgrade your loyalty program by navigating to this site. Once upgraded, you'll see these expanded options. 

Hope this helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 3 of 95
Square

@Vincent - I'm happy to share an update to our loyalty program with you. We just launched the ability to reward "Item-Based Stars.โ€ โญ๏ธ ๐ŸŽ‰  Now, you can customize your program to issue stars to buyers only for certain items or items within a particular category. You can check it out from the Loyalty tab of the Dashboard

Sean
he/him/his
Message 4 of 95
Super Seller

Yes this is a great idea. Unfortunately that isn't how it works currently, with it being visit based or total of purchase as the 2 options. We don't use the square rewards system currently but will re-evaluate in February as we gear up for another season. 

Message 5 of 95
Admin

Thanks for bringing this up, @LSBS and @VanKalkerFarms!

I'll be sure to flag this suggestion with our product liaison team, who tracks requests and makes improvements based on seller feedback. Please don't hesitate to share any other insight and keep in touch for updates. ๐Ÿ™‚

๏œ๏ธ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 6 of 95

This would seriously help. After7 years in business now my regulars are wondering why I don't have a better reward system than my memory.

Message 7 of 95

@Tom Tally another business wanting categorical or item restriction for the loyalty program. If a business offers a mixture of small ticket items (coffee by the cup) and large ticket items (coffee roaster) the current loyalty program does not allow enough flexibility so that it does not in some way over (e.g. per dollar amount) or under (e.g. per visit) reward customers. 

Message 8 of 95
Admin

Hey @Streatery and @SAWbeer, copy that! We're still tracking this. Thank you again for taking the time to share your insight and please don't hesitate to reply with any other questions!

๏œ๏ธ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 9 of 95

Would love it if some items or categories could earn points for a $ amount off after all rewards met AND another item or category could earn points for a FREE item.

Please . . . make my life easier = )

Thanks for your time!

Message 10 of 95
Square Community Moderator

@bookkeep Thanks for the feedback with this. I'll definitely pass the suggestion to our Product Team. 

Hopefully in the future we can roll out more advanced loyalty features. Keep an eye out for updates in the future!

Message 11 of 95
Square

@LSBS @VanKalkerFarms @Streatery @SAWbeer - I'm happy to share an update to our loyalty program with you. We just launched the ability to reward "Item-Based Stars.โ€ โญ๏ธ ๐ŸŽ‰  Now, you can customize your program to issue stars to buyers only for certain items or items within a particular category. When you log into the Loyalty tab of the Dashboard, you'll see that option right now:

You'll have to test it out and let us know what you think!

Sean
he/him/his
Message 12 of 95

We have been trying out this program but it will not let us just have the stars added per cup of coffee.  Will this be happening anytime soon? it really doesnt work for us if this is not allowed, it is too time consuming to go in and add stars to each person with a busy coffee stand

Tags (1)
Message 13 of 95
Square

@pete151a - Welcome to the Seller Community, and kudos on your first post! ๐Ÿ‘

This is definitely a popular feature request that we've heard from our sellers, and it is something that is on our product team's radar. While I can't provide any sort of timeframe, I'd be happy to update this thread if/when this functionality is introduced. 

Thanks for taking the time to express yourself! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 14 of 95
Square

@pete151a - Just wanted to share that the functionality you were looking for was just added. Check out this thread for more details. ๐Ÿ‘

Sean
he/him/his
Message 15 of 95

Yay!! Super stoked!! Thanks so much square for being AMAZING!! I cant wait to try it out tomorrow!!!๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿš€

Message 16 of 95
Beta Member

Close, but still doesn't do what I need. I give stars for a dollar amount - $15 in my case. Once the customer reaches 10 stars, they get their reward. I allow them to earn more than one star in a single transaction. Now here's my problem. I've got a few big ticket items - annual memberships that cost around $1K. That's 66 stars right there or 6 rewards!! I'd like to remove the annuals from accumulating loyalty points. A few solutions I've considered: - create a new customer who isn't in the loyalty program and record the sale. However, if the customer pays by credit card (common for big purchases), that credit card gets matched to the original customer and voila, the loyalty program kicks in. - don't enter a customer at all and record the sale. If the payment is by credit card, same problem as above. - take away the rewards earned. I can remove stars as long as they are below the reward level, but once you've earned a reward, they are sent to the customer. Taking back rewards are not customer friendly. I'm stumped. While we are in the loyalty program, I can't push the sales of annuals.
Message 17 of 95

Program a specific charge button for annual membership and don't include it as a button that earns rewards. 

If you catigorize all the buttons that are supposed to earn rewards under a specific name, then you can dictate how the rewards for that group are earned. Just make sure NOT to include the "annual reward" under that group. 

Hopefully that makes sense to you and is helpful. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Message 18 of 95
Square

@LSBS - Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback! ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿป

Sean
he/him/his
Message 19 of 95

Thanks for listening! You guys are great!

Message 20 of 95

Hello Sean! 

I have another challenge. Is there anyway to take the average amount spent on a loyalty phone number and offer a reward amount based off that avaerage? 

Example: sally generally buys $3 hot cocoa, but since she has a free drink "loyalty reward" she orders a $6 smoothie...free.

Is there a way to keep track on individual phone numbers and reward an average spent dollar amount? 

Message 21 of 95