x

Magstripe Reader not working

I recently tried a different company because their rates were lower, however I was not happy with them. My issue is that in using their app I had to install their reader and ever since the Square mag stripe readers will not work on my phone. I have updated, removed and reinstalled, disabled bluetooth, everything listed in the troubleshooting section to no avail. The reader works on other devices 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller Alumni

What magstripe are you using?  With or Without the chip reader?

With the Square app launched does plug in your reader.  Does the indicator pop up letting you know the reader is connected?

Message 2 of 6

Without and no, not any more

Message 3 of 6
Super Seller Alumni

Couple things to check.

Go To Settings App, scroll down to "Point of Sale" make sure Microphone is allowed.  If it is switch it off and on again and see if that works.

Make sure your volume is turned up and it is not on Mute. (check the switch)

Plug in your Headphones that came with your phone and call someone to make sure they can here you and you can here them.  This will verify that your jack works.

Message 4 of 6

There is no way to turn the microphone on or off but regular headphones work fine

Message 5 of 6
Super Seller Alumni

Correct you are it only allows access to the microphone.  But sometimes switching the setting off and on again fixes the problem.

Did you use headphones with a microphone?  The reader uses the microphone to send it's signal.  You need to test the microphone part of the jack to see if it still works.

Also, do you have bluetooth headphones or speakers hooked to your phone? Make sure they are not connected.  Just turn off your Bluetooth to rule it out. 

Message 6 of 6