x

New Square Register Hardware Non-English Language Support

Bought a Square Register since it looked like a great upgrade to the iPad POS. But it seems the software on the new hardware does not support Chinese text. It appears as blocks instead of the correct characters.

Is there an ETA when to expect Chinese text display on the device? As the iPad Square POS software supports it. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Admin

Hi @Abor, welcome to the seller community and thanks for bringing this up. I see what you mean—I went to check on this and we do not have a specific timeline available for when additional languages may come online for Register.

On the topic of features available with Stand versus Register, some other sellers brought up similar concerns. Have a look here for more details from one of the product managers: Square Register limitations.

I apologize for any frustration this may cause—please keep in touch as we're always working to improve based on seller feedback.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 11

I'm assuming a language pack option would suffice. It's a relatively easy implementation but considering it's a new device it might not be a priority. Unless of course the Japan roll-out or additional language text display demand increases. 

Maybe you could bring it up with the development team and get their thoughts? As I hope this service is available sooner than later. 

Message 3 of 11
Admin

Absolutely, @Abor—I don't have access to a specific timeline for releases, but rest assured that I'll be sharing your post and specifically call out how the ability to support Chinese text is important for your business. Please don't hesitate to let us know if anything else comes up.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 11

With Paypal's recent purchase of iZettle, which is basically Square's largest competitor in Europe, can we expect additional language display/print options for the register? I still have yet to be able to print receipts that display Chinese correctly. 

This could be a feature that distinguishes Square from iZettle and helps pave inroads into other countries/markets. As that is what Square is looking to do with all the M&A stock news and long-term business strategies. 

Message 5 of 11
Admin

Thanks for checking in @Abor! As Tom mentioned we can't share timelines about new features but we'll continue to advocate this request for you with the product team. As soon as we have any news we'll update this thread to let you know.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 6 of 11

I've got interested queries from Chinese customers who want to implement it in their Chinese restaurant. He asked how much for six Square registers. But knowing it doesn't support Chinese text makes me hesitant to recommend it, even with the recent restaurant flow improvements. 

But it's evident there is demand for the Square Register to support displaying and printing different languages. 

Message 7 of 11

Hi Square support,   

The original message was report in 2018 and what is the status now for this request?

Message 8 of 11
Alumni

I don't have an update to share in regards to this thread at the moment, @momo_sjsu.

We'll be sure to pop in with an update when we have one to share!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 11
Beta Member

Hi Square support,

I was looking for Square POS Chinese support and found this thread. Any updates on Chinese support on Square POS for Restaurants product roadmap?

Message 10 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @fen

Welcome back to the Community. 

Appreciate you reaching out for more information on this Feature Request. Right now, I don't have a timeline for this just yet. 

Once there is more information available, one of our Community Moderators will post a Product Update with more information! 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 11 of 11