x

Is there a way to set up automatic discounts, such as for happy hours?

Is there a way to set up automatic discounts such as for happy hours that will be applied automatically during a set time frame or under any other conditions? Thanks.

Message 1 of 145
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Update: Automatic Disounts are now available for Square Point of Sale! 🎉  

So if you want to set up a happy hour or if you need to create a limited-time discount pop over to this Product Update post for details: Automatic Discounts for Square Point of Sale app or visit the Support Center for step-by-step instructions to create automatic discounts.

You can also schedule happy hours with the Square for Restaurants app. 🎉  

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 141 of 145
144 REPLIES 144
Square

This sounds like an awesome feature that would save an extra step for sellers like yourself!

While this isn't something that we currently have set up, I'm definitely going to share your thoughts with our product liaison team! Thanks for the post. 

Cheers! 🍻

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 145

We have two stores running square as the pos and can't find this feature anywhere.  We assumed it existed but mabye that's why we have been unable to find such a button?

Sean, if you have the ability to push this rather simple (but desparetly needed) button/freature through, it would be greatly appreciated and would make your product all the more competitive against alternative POS solutions.

Message 3 of 145
Square

@CoffeeDude - While I'm more than happy to share your feedback, I can't offer any sort of promise around development of this feature. I can however assure you that our product teams do love hearing what features would help our sellers.

Thanks for taking the time to post! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 4 of 145
Beta Member

Can I add on to this thread?

It would be very helpful to be able to apply a dollar-based discount to a single item. While the current functionality of being able to apply percentage discounts to a single item is nice, it doesn't solve all the problems. Particularly around dollar off specials, etc.  I'm not sure why the dollar-based discounts were specifically excluded from this functionality as it seems like a no brainer given that the base functionality is already there.

Message 5 of 145
Admin

Hey @ctkach, thanks for sharing your point! I'll be sure your experience gets over to our product liaison team as well. In the meantime, thank you for your patience and I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 6 of 145

I agree with @ctkach. Since we just transitioned to Square from a more "robust" POS system, it was a suprise not to be able to discount individual items with a dollar amount. In addition to $1 for happy hour, we also used single item discounts for neighboring businesses and loyalty programs, etc...

A quick work around was to add a discount button with an open amount. Then we could count the number of items requiring discounts and apply it accordingly, but this is clearly not the best solution.

I hope this feature gets added soon. Thanks!

Message 7 of 145
Super Seller Alumni

Thanks for jumping in @locale!  We need everyone to voice their opinion here to nudge @Square to implement "Advanced Discounts" soon.

Yep.  An open amount discount is a recipe for lots of errors and potential unauthorized discounts.

Message 8 of 145
Square

@sciabica1936 - Happy to pass along the feedback. In the meantime, you may also want to consider checking out our partnership with TouchBistro. They offer a lot of features specific to the restaurant industry. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 9 of 145

Hi Sean, we are in fact just switching FROM TouchBistro. It is a great POS for restaurants and we originally chose it for its features like discounts and the ability to track and split tabs easily according to a table layout.

However, we switched because we are too small to really make use of the more sophisticated features of Touchbistro, and ultimately we prefered the simplicity of Square's interface and more importantly, its cloud based reporting and CRM. Allowing for $ discounts on individual items would solve the issue and make Square nearly comprehensive for our needs.

Thanks for your consideration,
Locale

Message 10 of 145
Square

@locale - Appreciate the follow up, I'll be sure to pass along the feedback! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 11 of 145

Yes!  Was just talking yesterday about our employees having difficulty remember our "$2 off whole bean coffee on Mondays" promo.  This could be helpful.  

Message 12 of 145

This is what I need. Our cafe has a happy hour from 12-2pm and sometimes employee's forget that it stops at 2pm. I don't want to take the happy hour away but, we are losing in this case. I would love a way to schedule the time for the item to be featured. 

Please help!

Message 13 of 145
Super Seller Alumni

An "IF, THEN" would look like this:

IF

Time is between 12pm - 2pm

THEN

Apply a discount

You may also want to limit it to certain products and days of the week...

IF

Time is between 12pm - 2pm

Day of the week equals Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday

Category equals Beer, or Wine

THEN

Apply a discount

Message 14 of 145
Beta Member

Has this gone anywhere yet that we know of the happy hour feature... 

Message 15 of 145
Super Seller Alumni

I'm wondering the same.  It's one of the only things keeping me from switching my gift shop to Square from ERPLY (along with having an SKU and a UPC for each product).

Message 16 of 145
Square

@Roo @sciabica1936 - I don't have any sort of update to share at this time. I'd encourage y'all to check out this thread about the feature request process. It shares more details about the Seller Community and the role it plays in requested features. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 17 of 145
Beta Member

Time pricing period would be a huge help right now i have to have. Special button for each day with the same item. That anyone can click anytime. If i could have a option @ this day and from 10p-12a this gyro is 5.99 but u just click the reg gyro button and it knows the price for that day and time.  Same as happy hour really i guess

Message 18 of 145
Super Seller Alumni

Agreed.  Square, please hurry on this feature 🙂

Message 19 of 145

I believe this is in the same vein: I am looking for a way to add an automatic discount for orders that exceed a certain number of items (e.g. 5% off if you order 10 or more).

Message 20 of 145

The lack of this feature and Square's slow response (the request is almost a year old) is prompting us to look for an alternative system.  We are experiencing too many errors trying to kludge a work-around to continue with this product as it is.

Message 21 of 145