x

Recurring Invoice With Expired Card On File

When a recurring invoice has a card on file associated with that invoice it charges that card. When the card expires the invoice goes unpaid. Once the customer realizes and pays the invoice with a new card and saves the new card on file, the next invoice in the recurring que still tries to use the expired card. The invoices continue to go unpaid each month leaving the customer confused and frustrated. They call to let us know they have continued to save their card on file but the invoices continue to go unpaid each month. This is a major flaw in usabilty for the customer as well as the vendor.

BIG QUESTIONS:

1. When a customer saves a new card on file for a recurring invoice, can future invoices please use the new saved card so the invoice does not go unpaid and the customer doesn't get frustrated? 

2. When a customer saves the exact same card month after month because of this flaw, can the system not stack the exact same card multiple times into the customers account?

3. Can you add a link to the customers card dashboard in ALL emails with clear verbage for better UX/UI?

4. Can you allow us as the vendor to send a manual link to the customers card dashboard?

5. Can you allow the customer to add new cards to their card dashboard?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Admin

Hi again @FullDigital!

Really sorry to hear about the trouble expired cards are causing for recurring invoices. After card on file is removed by a customer they'll need to contact you to add their new card information. Also, customers shouldn't be able to add an expired card to a recurring invoice. If that happens, or if it seems like a recurring invoice is charging the expired card instead of a new card can you call our Customer Success team to report this so we can investigate? Our team will need to know the specific invoice or series where this is happening so you could make a note of that before you call it'd be a great hep. 

I definitely agree that this is another great reason to give customers the ability to update their card information from their Card Dashboard. I'll share your feedback points here with the Card on File team. Thank you again! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 9

No one is adding expired cards. Once a card expires and the invoice goes unpaid, the customer adds the new card but the invoice continues to use the expired card instead of the new card. It happens on all of them. It's a flaw in the system.

Message 3 of 9

We have the same issue and the same comments/recommended solutions. Correcting this flaw would greatly reduce our workload to chase down each unpaid (and then hopefully paid) invoice to determine the reason and then manually relink the invoice to the new card.

Message 4 of 9
Admin

Thanks for posting here about this issue @kleinhk

To clarify, in the meantime, if a customer's card has expired (and so we can't charge it - you'll be notified too) your customer will automatically receive an invoice with a link to pay the invoice with a new card. From that new invoice your customer will have option to save their card on file. However, after they've added their new card you'll also need to go to their invoice series and select their new card as the card to charge on file.  

I've shared your feedback with the Invoices team and we're actively seeking to improve this. Thanks for flagging it as a feature request, I can absolutely see how it would save you time if you didn't have to take the second step. I'll report back here as soon as I have any updates! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 5 of 9

We are having a similar problem, in that our clients are giving us their new credit card information so we can update the card for them, but we can't seem to figure out how we can edit a card that's already part of a recurring invoice?

Message 6 of 9

Hello @tkballenger

I think @Helen's answer above addresses this. Once the new card is added to their customer profile, you'll have to edit the invoice and select their new card as the card to charge on file. 🙂

Message 7 of 9

I'm having a similar issue, however, this time I thought I had fixed it....ya, nope! I completely deleted the (recurring) customer (donor) after her card expired and set her up a completely new account with new card. She is now getting 2 emails a month! One stating the invoice/donation was paid, one saying it wasn't. I have no idea how to fix this. We are gonna wait one more month and if it keeps up I will encourage her to use Canada Helps to make her monthly donations. So frustrating!!!

Message 8 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @Wonder-Woman 

I am so sorry for this frustrating experience. Have you reached out to our Support team so they can confirm if there is a lingering recurring invoice that is affecting you? If you haven't done so please reach out here when you have a moment.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 9