x

New to Square: Does free processing cover payments accepted though my Online Store?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Welcome new members!  

Hello! I'm Cindy and my first book (not self-published) is coming out in a few weeks! I just set up square payments on my website (but I didn't publish the page yet) and read about the fees with credit cards.

I'm in the intial bonus time with no processing fee, but now I'm wondering if that includes the fees with credit cards on my website, Struggling with Serendipity. If it doesn't, is there any way to avoid that particular fee? Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller Alumni

Hi Cindy,

One of the greatest things about Square is that their credit/processing fees are very straight forward and more than reasonable.  With Square, the only fees you will pay is whatever fee applies to your device.  For instance, we use Square Register and we pay 2.5% + 10 cents per charged/debited transaction, and that is all.  No monthly fees, no membership fees, nothing that other processors love to pile one on top of the other.  Unless you use Square's subscriptions or added programs, or use their Instant Deposit feature, that is all you will pay.  Personally I think that moving to Square was one of the best decisions my business has made in many years.

Good luck with your new book and whatever decision you make here.

Judy T Shumway
Message 2 of 6

Thank you for your response! I'm still not clear on one thing: 

Are all Square processing fees for all devices waived for the initial bonus period (and later for successful referrals)? Or does the initial bonus period only apply to the processing fees for mobile devices?

I just need to know so I can plan my product price accordingly. Thanks!

Message 3 of 6
Super Seller Alumni

Sorry, I can't answer authoritatively.  I didn't get an introductory fee-free period.  This is just a guess, so don't hold me to it, but I think the free period covers all transactions that are posted to your account.  I think @VanKalkerFarms may have a better idea or know who would, or @katieand who's a Square resource.

Judy T Shumway
Message 4 of 6
Super Seller

The free processing covers the fees for all types of transactions that I know of.  as far as pricing your book, Square's fees will be 2.9% +30¢ so on a $16.98 book the fees will be 79¢ netting you $16.19.  Personally, I would keep your book the same as it is on Amazon and your website so that there is parity between and someone isn't mad they got it there for higher etc.  your amazon cut will be less than the list price just like your website will be less than the sale price.

your book looks super amazing.  Wow, you have had an eventful life and faced amazingly difficult events and have helped your daughter succeed in the face of nearly insurmountable challenges, and she helped you a lot too it looks like :-).  Amazing.

Congrats @CindyK on the book and you and your daughter's success.

P.s. I just pre-ordered your book on Amazon for April 9 delivery 🙂

Message 5 of 6

Wow! Thanks for the answer to my question, and thanks also for preordering my book. It just went up on Amazon and the cover photo isn't even populated yet, so you might be the first order! My story is about hope, and I'm looking forward to sharing it on my book tour and at Abilities Expos in Boston, California, and Chicago.

I appreciate your advice on pricing. I have the shipping included only since I don't want to pay extra to upgrade to add shipping at checkout. Have a great day!

Message 6 of 6