x

Can we charge based on hourly use?

If our business model requires charges by houly rate (... $20 per hour at .3 hrs = $6.00 charge) where and how can we set this up.  Our currant invoicing software computates our total hourly billing this way, and upon multipal charges for different task requiring increses or decreces in time provides us a total for the hourly charges.   

The other itemised things such as materials, like nuts or bolts + markup and taxes are also computated and generated within the "Balance Due" total line.

any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 62
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Your best bet would be to grab a little desktop timer to track time, and then charge your customer by the hour.

If you need to charge by smaller time quantities than hours, you can select an option from the Precision dropdown:

It wouldn't be possible to automate this using the Square app or your Dashboard, @Serge1.

I hope this helps, but let me know if questions come up!

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 53 of 62
61 REPLIES 61
Square

Items and modifiers can be used to set this type of billing up, there are a few ways you can track billable hours depending on which you think would work best for your business. 

You can set up an item as "an hour" then apply as many as you need to charge the customer correctly. In addition, you can add a modifier set that you can apply to a sale to charge those partial hours. If you are billing for partial hours more often, you can create a "half hour" item, then use modifiers to add those whole hours. It's all up to you! Our Support Center has tons of information on both modifiers and items.

Message 2 of 62

Is there a way within Square Register to actually track hourly rental time? For example.... Customer comes in. Can he "swipe in" to "start the clock" and when done can he "swipe out" to stop the clock and then an invoice would be calculated based on his/her actual use of the facility?

Message 3 of 62
Square Community Moderator

@mjeakman That's not an available feature, but I can see how it could be helpful. We'll document this and update if anything comes up in regards to this in the future!

Message 4 of 62

Did something ever come of this? I am hoping to charge by the hour. Track the time an ticket was open till close, then charge by that amount of time.

Message 5 of 62

Is it possible to charge based on an hourly use? I am helping a flight school setup a billing system. 

The goal is to have a touch screen icon for each airplane and instructor. 

We want to have the student pick the airplane ICON and enter the amount of time they used. 

Example

Cessna 172 N13333 icon and enter 1.5hr. 

Instructor Joe Smith icon and enter 1hr.

This Cessna rents for $70 so the entry would be $105. 

The instructor rate is $40 so the entry would be $ 40.

Message 6 of 62
Square

@pumpactionpimp1 - I went ahead and moved your thread here because it looks like Kelly helped another seller with a similar quesiton. Please check out her answer. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 7 of 62

For my flight school I have 2 items for the airpane. 

Cessna 172 1.0 = $125

Cessna 172 0.1 = $12.50

if someone flies the airplane 1.5 then its 

1 x 1.0

5 x 0.1

If there is a better way I would like to know but I've been doing it this way fopr years on square.

Message 8 of 62

Smart man, you should be a coder with that type of thinking..

Message 9 of 62

This would be really useful feature.

Our business charges in 1/2 hour increments.  It would nice to have a single line item for a specific day.

For example,

Monday @ quantity = 6.5

Tuesday @ quantity = 8.0

Wednesday @ quantity = 9.5

Open up the quantity field to include all rational numbers which include the fractional parts not just a whole number.

Message 10 of 62

This should be an available option. I charge customers for the time I spend working at their site and in certain tasks that I perform while I'm there I can charge different hourly rates. 

I cannot believe it is not available to this day...

Message 11 of 62

I’m trying to do the same. Could I get you to call me and explain how you did that?  [Personal Information Redacted]

Message 12 of 62

Hey @CirrusRules1

I recommend @ mentioning the member you're referring to, to get their attention. 🙂

Message 13 of 62

I charge customers time and material.  I have my hourly rate set up under items as "labor rate".  I charge customers the hourly rate but charges are accrued in fifteen minute increments.  When I attempt to bill them, I can only add time in whole hours.  I would like to be able to charge for 2.5 hours, or 3.75 hours.  Square will only let me charge for 2, 3, 4, etc. hours.  Does anyone know how I can accomplish this?

Thanks,

Ryan H

Tags (1)
Message 14 of 62

I am setting up a new square and need to sell gasoline. How do I set a decimal price and input a fractional amount? Ex. gas @1.99/gal and purchase 1.5 Gal?

Message 15 of 62

I will be one happy user when they finally make this possible! (I sell fabric: partial yards, decimal price points.)

Message 16 of 62
Beta Member

Square please listen to us. 

Message 17 of 62

For me, too, this is clearly a show stopper.

Ridiculous, that Square has not got this option.

PAYPAL does!! Maybe that helps you guys at Square to add this feature quickly????

Message 18 of 62

Add me to the list of hourly billers that needs to bill for fractions. I love Square, but this is a major shortcoming.

Message 19 of 62

@RHarr Change your "Hour Rate" to a "Unit Rate" and charge 4 units per hour?

Message 20 of 62
Square

@Feedback2016 - Thanks for your help with this one! 🙌

@RHarr - Since Feedback2016 was able to help answer your question, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find this thread if they have the same question. Thanks! Also, welcome to the Seller Community! We're happy to have you. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 21 of 62