x

Feature Request: More than 2 decimal points for tracking inventory

Feature Request: More than 2 decimal points for tracking inventory

What is the status of allow at least three decimal points in items?  2 is not sufficient.  For instance if you are billing for mileage teh IRS rate is 0.535 per mile.  Now the system rounds it up to 0.54 which is not correct.

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How are others that price by a decimal quantities working their charges?

No updates to this functionality at this time, @Zapeng. We'll update here if that changes in the future. Thanks for posting.

38 Comments

I need to set an item that has three decimal point. Since square doesn't work with scales, it recommends using a small amount of weight and changing the quantity. My price is $.55 per ounce, so if I use 1/10 of an ounce on square I need the price to be $0.055 but this does not seem possible. The quantity can't be set to a number with decimals either. How can this problem be overcome?

Admin

Hey @Pasha, thanks for pointing this out. You're right, we don't currently offer items to the third decimal point, but take a look at the Author's Choice answers in this post. Hopefully you'll find a solution there.

If you still have any other questions, feel free to reply or reach out to our Support Team — we'll be happy to take closer look!

It is pathetic that Square would suggest an Author's Choice post that recommends using an external calculator or the purchase of a different scale. Square needs to update it's program as soon as possible. Not only is Square unable to work together with external scales, it's also unable to calculate using figures with three decimals which are obviously needed when working with small amounts of weights as suggested. I get more and more disappointed everyday. 

Dear Square,

I sell promotional items, and many of our units that people order are multiplied by 3 decimal points. For payment people need their quotes and their invoices to look exactly alike. Especially the government. Please readjust your template to read 3 figs .

Thank you!

I am a big fan of Square. It does so much for so little and yet it is so inflexible. It could easily be so much more to so many more businesses.

This is just another fine example. While it is true that the majority of Square Register users probably don't need anything but Integer quantities, why make that the standard for all? It's a trivial thing to put something in the settings to allow 0, 1, 2 or 3 decimal places in quantities.

The sad news is that this issue may never change. I have made numerous feature requests and pointed out issues to support and sales and I can't recall a single item that has been addressed. Register remains pretty much as-is while all the development effort seems to go to new peripheral products.

The Register core is due for some serious upgrades. I challenge Square to work on eradicating their well-worn use of the word workaround...

Roy

Square

No updates to this functionality at this time, @Zapeng. We'll update here if that changes in the future. Thanks for posting.

Please remember we need three decimal places.  IRS mileage is 0.535 so if this is a unit quantity you must have all three digits or the invoice will not reflect the correct cost if this is billing method for those of us in the service industry.  Many lower cost items I suspect will also fall into this category.  I really can't believe this is a big issue to fix.

I just received an Invoice from another online vendor.  On their invoice I notice the unit price was in fact to 3 decimal places.invoice.GIF

I include this only to show this in fact is not an unusual nor unprecedented request.  Especailly as the IRS standard milegae rate is 0.535 and the use of any other rate will not calculate properly.

Beta Member

When Square gets the decimal quantities working (I'm optimistic!) it would be really great if the number of decimals could be optional.  In the past I used up to four decimals on weights that we measured by the ounce but priced by the pound, so some weights, like 9 ounces, would be 0.5625 lbs.  Now, I am using a certified scale, and most of those weights are in the hundredth of a pound, or two decimal places.  This is how the beef and pork that is processed at the USDA plant is labeled as well, so seems like pretty standard.

If possible, it would be nice to see a decimal quantity option, and that can be set between 0 and 4 decimals.  I can see a default of 0, with a decimal option or slider or something.

I'm excited to see what the Square designers (programmers?, team?) come up with!

I own a fabric store. I desperately need the ability to sell in decimal quantities. If my fabric is $7.99/yard and my customer wants 1 1/3 yards I must be able to put in 1.333 in the quantity. Very few fabric customers buy in whole yard quantities.  When I click on the quantity a number keypad pops up. All it needs is the decimal point. Right now I have to do a handwritten ticket and then input in square. That's double work for me and makes my customers have to wait. It will be wonderful when you figure this out.