x

Android tablets

I'm looking to upgrade to a tablet prior to my first show of the season...which is on 9/23. Not much time, so I'm hoping someone here can help me. While Square posts a list of compatible devices, I know people who use devices NOT on this list. 

Also, it appears that the vast majority of items under the Android category are phones. Well, I have one of those. But I'd rather get an inexpensive tablet than hand someone my (more) expensive phone! 

Can anyone offer some advice? I'm not the most computer guru-ish person, for sure. I'm looking for an inexpensive (less than $100) android based (cause I don't do Apple products) that is compatible.

I know someone who says he is going to use the Lenovo Tab 3, and that he found it is compatible. Well, Lenovo Tab 3 8 (I guess that means the 8" model) isn't compatible. So where did he get this info (he says from Square). 

help? I can't afford to buy something that won't work. And I also don't want to spend a bundle (will keep with my phone, if that's the only option). Thanks! 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Alumni

Hey there @Coquette - welcome to the 👥 community. 

We have plenty of compatible Android tablets that are supported for use with Square. Please make sure to look through our list of compatible devices

Message 2 of 6

Unfortunately, Russell, your answer has no value to the question!   The Square Compatibility list is of use only to find out if the item I own, is compatible.

Coquette & I DO NOT OWN A DEVICE!  We are asking for recommendations, USER EXPERIENCES, with reasonably priced Android Tablets, that ARE compatible, I.e. ARE being used SUCCESSFULLY by Square customers.

Much different from picking a random manufacturer / model # from a pull-down list, and looking it up somewhere, only to learn that - OH !@#$%^&*O( that's a phone, OR if it HAPPENS to be a tablet, OH @#$%#$%#$%^#$% that one costs $400!

TILT - back to square one!

Please, folks, are YOU successfully using a reasonably priced tablet with a Square?  If so, kindly tell us about it.

Thank you.

**bleep** Thomas

Colorado

Message 3 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Hi @DickThomas

Sorry the answer provide wasn't ideal. I'm happy to give more details that hopefully help out a bit more. 

A good amount of our Android Google Play Store reviews with 5 stars and positive feedback seem to come from Samsung Galaxy Tab users. 

They make different styles with all different price points, but they're modestly priced depending on if you get a data plan with it or not. 

We actually sell a POS Kit that includes the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1"

@Coquette Were you able to settle on a new tablet? If so, which one and what has your experience been?

Hopefully a few of the other sellers using Androids can chime in with their experience. 

Message 4 of 6

actually, no. I didn't get this information back last fall when I was looking for it. So, for the interim, I've tabled it. Perhaps will take another look this fall.

There are a lot of inexpensive tablets that are less than $100. That's the price range I wanted to be 'in' due to the fact that I wouldn't use it outside of the Square application (most likely) and there's a chance someone could drop it, etc. The Galaxy Tab are far more expensive than that. At least, they were.

Thanks for the information.

Message 5 of 6

Why do you say the Lenovo Tab3 8 is not compatable?

My business has been using several Lenovo Tab3 8" tablets for our Square payments for almost a year with no issues. It's a pretty reliable and decent tablet all around considering the price point, and the Square POS app works fine with it in my experience. The bluetooth connection with the Square chip/nfc reader is a bit slow and has a tendency to disconnect if your internet connection gets interrupted, but overall I have no complaints about it.

Perhaps you mean the Square for Retail app isn't compatible? I haven't tried that one.

Message 6 of 6