x

How many digits does the SKU need to be when setting up inventory?

I am setting up our inventory and was wondering if there were any guide lines on how many numbers you have to have in a sku number for it to be able to be read as a barcode?  Can I just use 6 digits for the sku or do i need to go for the full amount of digits for a UPC code.  None of my items have UPC codes already so i am starting from scratch. 

Message 1 of 5
1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

You can do what ever you want. (I am sure there is a max though.) If your barcode is 1 and you enter 1 in your SKU it will work.  

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

You can do what ever you want. (I am sure there is a max though.) If your barcode is 1 and you enter 1 in your SKU it will work.  

Message 2 of 5

Thanks for the quick response!!

Message 3 of 5

I am also starting from scratch with no UPC codes. Does square have a way to autogenerate skus or do you have to manually enter them for each item?

Message 4 of 5
Super Seller Alumni

Square does not automatically generate skus but it does not require them either.  If you want skus to scan with a barcode reader you will have to create them. If you enter all your items in a spreadsheet for upload you can us a simple add 1 to create a sky from one item to the other. 

Message 5 of 5