x

Label Printing: Scan and Print Barcode Labels

Beta Member

Label Printing: Scan and Print Barcode Labels

We are a retailer that has over 6,000 SKUs. We have asked for some time if there is an option that can be incorporated into the POS that would allow for us to "Scan and Print". With tons of new items coming in every week, we would love a better option to print out shelf labels, with the easiest option being to scan the new item and print immediately. 

THANKS! 

0 Likes
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Can Square generate SKU numbers?

Hello @GlacierLandings, welcome to the Seller Community! 

This is a great question I'm sure other businesses have. While Square doesn't have a way to auto generate SKU's Shopventory does! Once your products are entered into Shopventory you can run a task where the software will generate a SKU for any item without an assigned SKU. 

I hope this helps! 

103 Comments

We were previously using the Clover Station POS. We had several issues with it. But it had an "easy label" app that created UPC codes and labels to apply to products for easy checkout at the cashier station. 

Does the SQUARE/iPad have an app that creates UPC codes? So we can affix UPC labels to our products.

Super Seller

No. You have to use 3rd party software. I use a program called Barcode Producer (its easy and induitive). There are many to choose from. I wish Square had some sort of UPC managment built in, and wish I was able to print barcodes from the square app... That would be nice. 

I'm starting from scratch here... Do I put all my inventory info into a spread sheet and then export it to the 3rd party generator? Can I do that in batches or files of data? Watched a youtube and the guy had the barcodes in the spread sheet already. Do you export them out back into the spread sheet? 

I'm all confused. First time I've done this.

Is barcode generator compatible with the dymo labelwriter 450's software?

I am new to Square. I have entered my inventory into the back office of Square. How do I put my information onto the label? How does Square generate a barcode? They advised me to purchase a DYMO labelWriter, which I did, but now I have no idea wht to do with it. I don't see anything in the items portion of Square that will generate a label. Help!!!

The Dymo LabelWriter comes with its own software, but it would be nice if Square had a feature to print them for you. You can use the software to create/print your labels. Square only provides an input field for SKU. The SKU is what can be used for the barcode; that way, you can use a barcode scanner and it will find the item when checking out. Since Square doesn't have a way to print labels, I just create a spreadsheet with three columns:

- Price

- Text

- SKU (used for barcode)

As I create items in Square, I put the corresponding price, text, and SKU into a spreadsheet. For example, if I have 4 shirts (1S, 2M, 1L), I would add 6 rows to the spreadsheet: 1 rows for Small, 2 rows for Medium, and 1 rows for Large. Here is an example (comma separated to make it easier to see which fields are which):

$10.00, Small, SHIRT-S

$10.00, Medium, SHIRT-M

$10.00, Medium, SHIRT-M

$10.00, Large, SHIRT-L

For the first row, "SHIRT-S" would be the SKU. Note, however, that you have to make sure you choose a barcode format that's compatible with this type of SKU. 

After creating the spreadsheet, I use the Import and Print feature in the Dymo LabelWriter software.

Super Seller

It all depends on how organized you want to be about it. It would be wise to create a spreadsheet that contains all of your product information. There are plugins you can get for excel that will generate a barcode based on a UPC #. I don't use excel to print the actual barcode label, so I only store the UPC # in my spreadsheets. The program I use will generate an SVG file that opens in Illustrator, or Photoshop, so I've created a workflow where each of my barcode labels are stored as Illustrator files that are shared over a network, so any device and pull them up and print them out on a wireless Dymo printer. I don't have it all figured out yet, but so far this setup has worked well for us.

Barcode Generator can create a whole batch of barcodes. With the Dymo print software you can setup your label size, and make a template that is linked to your inventory spreadsheet. So instead of making hundreds of individual barcode labels, you select your product from a list, and it autopopulates the barcode label with the information that is in your spreadsheet, and print. 

Super Seller

It's a little tricky to get import a barcode into Dymo's software. Dymo's software is a barcode generator itself, and it doesn't take too kindly to importing SVG files. You can create a jpg barcode file that will import to Dymo, but you would be better off using their barcode creator.

We have all the recommended equipment for the Square Scannig system.  Can anyone recommend a bar code software for creating & printing our bar codes?  We want to bar code our products.  We would be creating new bar codes every month, as we get new artists every month.

Square Community Moderator

Hello!

While we don’t officially support specific bar code or label printers and can’t guarantee compatibility, some customers have had success with the Dymo 450 label printer