x

Does anyone else have trouble inserting metal chip cards into the chip card reader?

More and more my contactless reader won't read these new heavily embossed chip cards. The cards are more difficult to insert and then the reader can't read them. It works great if the cards insert easily but if the card is more difficult to insert because the numbers & names are so heavily embossed....forget it. Anyone else notice this ?

Message 1 of 14
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

I think I may have solved the problem. I inserted a debit card that had a small silver emblem were the metallic chip normally is on a new credit card. So naturally it would not work. The older debit card was harder to insert also as mentioned in the previous issue. Conclusion is I think it may have been my error inserting an older card that resembled a newer chip embedded card. Just need to pay closer attention and make sure it is in fact a chip card. At least I hope this is the problem. Time will tell. 

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Alumni

@JC this is really interesting feedback that we haven't heard before, thanks for sharing here. Has anyone else also experienced this? We'll keep our product team in the loop on this to make sure they take a look. 

Message 2 of 14

Best Answer

I think I may have solved the problem. I inserted a debit card that had a small silver emblem were the metallic chip normally is on a new credit card. So naturally it would not work. The older debit card was harder to insert also as mentioned in the previous issue. Conclusion is I think it may have been my error inserting an older card that resembled a newer chip embedded card. Just need to pay closer attention and make sure it is in fact a chip card. At least I hope this is the problem. Time will tell. 

Message 3 of 14
Super Seller Alumni

@JC, don't feel bad, those cards fooled me already too. Glad you figured it out. 🙂

Message 4 of 14
Alumni

Ah, thanks for posting to let us know, @JC! Seems like an easy mistake to make 😊

Message 5 of 14

Has anyone had trouble with the new "metal" credit cards not fitting in the chip reader?

Message 6 of 14
Alumni

Hi @WillowRunSuds

I moved your post to this thread - admittedly your issue sounds a little different. Still the similarities have me curious. 

I tested a metal card in a few chip card readers here in the office and did not have trouble. Can you give some more details on the specific types of payment cards are giving you trouble? Are you able to swipe them if needed ?

Please let me know - I definitely want to share this with our Product Team

Message 7 of 14

Yes, I have been having problems recently although none initially in July.

I am also find Tap does not work recently, so am having to enter numbers which is more expensive!

Message 8 of 14
Alumni

Hey @rathmore - I'm sorry to hear about this trouble. 

Please make sure your device and the Point of Sale app are up to date (if they are not current, it can impact performance). Please also make sure to work through the troubleshooting steps for the Contactless + Chip Card reader - it sounds like you may have to force restart the reader. 

Message 9 of 14
Beta Member

We have had problems and now the cards seem to have killed the reader. It started working only sporadically and scratching people's cards.

Message 10 of 14
Square Community Moderator

Hi @HonestB

That doesn't sound good. It's the first time I've heard of something like this happening with a specific card type. One thing to make sure of when accepting chip card payments is that all stickers are removed from your customers card before inserting them into your reader. I've seen a few instances where this is actually what causes the trouble with readers, not necessarily the material of the card. 

If your reader is still damaging cards, we can send out a brand new replacement once. Just head over to our Warranty page and fill out a claim. We'll have a new reader sent out to you in no time. 

Message 11 of 14

I got a new phone that is compatable with square chip reader but am unable to eastablish a secure connection it says the reader is connected and i can slide cards

Message 12 of 14
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Hairtician

Have you tried any troubleshooting thus far?

Check out this article if you haven't done so already and let me know if anything helps:

Square Chip Card Reader Tips and Troubleshooting 

Message 13 of 14
Beta Member

We have had the same issue. A metal card damaged the chip reader. We had to go to putting cards in and out 3 times for the chip to fail and give swipe option. Now the chip reader is destroying the customer cards. We have to manually type in the cards if they don't have tap pay. Is there any way to get a new machine issued to us?

Message 14 of 14