x

Setting up items for Antique Shop with 4 vendors

[The title of this thread has been updated from the original title: MODIFIER SALES] 

Hi, fellow square users. 

I have an antique business (Brick and mortar) and I share the store with 4 other vendors. I take a percentage of their sales. I'm the only register, so all sales come through me. I've set up each vendor as a modifier to be able to track their sales. How can I run a report of each vendor (modifier) and see what their sales are? I have each modifier (vendor) set to $0 since the only use for the modifier is to track the vendor's sale. When I try to run a report, no sales are attached to the modifiers. Is there a  better way to do this? Thanks in advance for any feedback. 

Message 1 of 20
2 Best Answers
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Have you tried setting it up with the vendors being a "Category" instead of a modifier?  You can track each category's sales numbers.  It might take a bit to reorganize everything, but probably worth your time.  Hope this helps!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 20

Best Answer

Hi vintagehome,

BricknBarn is correct.  From your dashboard on your computer, go to Reports, go to Item Sales. You will see a drop down button, that says Export, in the upper right corner of the screen. You will want to choose Detail CSV. This will give you all the information about each item sale. When I say all, you will understand when you see it. I use Microsoft Excel, but it will work with Google Sheets as well. I filter the headers and hide the columns that I don't need. My vendor reports only reflect the information they will need to see. If you include all of the details that the Detail CSV will give you, it makes the reports confusing. (We learned our lesson on that.) I only show the Date:Item:Gross Sales:Discounts:Net Sales:Notes. I filter the "Items" to choose the vendor/vendors I'm creating the report for, sort the "Date" Oldest to Newest, and if the report contains multiple vendors, sort the filtered items A to Z. I copy and paste each vendors information to my report template that I created to take the Net Sales from the CSV and calculate the commissions we deduct. These reports are in one workbook for that pay period. So, it's important that you export and save the Detail CSV to be able to create the detailed reports you want. 

View Best Answer >

Message 9 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Have you tried setting it up with the vendors being a "Category" instead of a modifier?  You can track each category's sales numbers.  It might take a bit to reorganize everything, but probably worth your time.  Hope this helps!

Message 2 of 20

Thank you ACAcatering. After speaking to the support center and not coming up with a solution, I think this might solve the problem. 

I'll just need to have the same "item list" under every Vendor (category). Thanks for your help. Much appreciated. 

Message 3 of 20

We are a vintage/antique store with 20 vendors using square since May and have figured out a way to track everyone’s sales and provide each vendor with an itemized list of sold items by month.

1) each vendor = Item

2) category = vendors business name and/or personal name

3) modifier/ items = general categories (example Home Decor, furniture ,wall art ....)

so when ringing a sale you pick the vendor(item), enter price on tag, pick the item from general categories and we add in notes section details from the vendors tickets and press add . If you have questions please contact us at [Personal Information Redacted] Bonnie or Pam R

Message 4 of 20

Hi, 

I'm helping to open a brick and morter with multiple vendors, and using one square reader (with multiple accounts tied one reader), I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle one transaction from multiple vendors.  If a customer purchases 3 items from 3 different vendors, would I have to conduct 3 different transactions, and log in and out of each account for each vendor?   Thanks ahead of time for your response!

Message 5 of 20

Hi Georgia28. 

We also have a brick n mortar antique shop w multiple vendors and only one checkout/iPad. This  is how I’ve set it up: assign each vendor to a category. Each category can have as many items under it as you like. In our case, since all the products are unique and one of a kind, I only assign one item named “antique” under each vendor/category. When checking a customer out who has purchased several products from different vendors, all I need to do is select the vendor/category, then click on the item/antique. You can then input the price and description of each item. When you run a sales report, you can see what each vendor has sold. You can also export a detailed list as an excel spreadsheet and then filter each vendor using excel, saving out a pdf for each one of your vendors. If each one of your vendors has a set inventory with set prices, you can add those items with prices and descriptions under each vendor to save time at checkout. Hope this helps. I also found it frustrating that square doesn’t really make it easy to set up multiple vendors but this one s the best work around I’ve found. Cheers. 

Message 6 of 20

Hi!  I have used your method for my new antique business.  It seems to be working well.  The only thing is I cannot seem to expand the categories to show the description.  This is where i have been putting their inventory numbers.  How do I run a sales report for each vendor with an itemized report showing the description?  Thank you so much!  Your post helped me tremendously setting it up!

Message 7 of 20

Hi vintagehome, 

What you need to do is under "items sales" export the "Detailed CSV". Then, using excel or google sheets,  you can filter your results by category (vendor). 

Message 8 of 20

Best Answer

Hi vintagehome,

BricknBarn is correct.  From your dashboard on your computer, go to Reports, go to Item Sales. You will see a drop down button, that says Export, in the upper right corner of the screen. You will want to choose Detail CSV. This will give you all the information about each item sale. When I say all, you will understand when you see it. I use Microsoft Excel, but it will work with Google Sheets as well. I filter the headers and hide the columns that I don't need. My vendor reports only reflect the information they will need to see. If you include all of the details that the Detail CSV will give you, it makes the reports confusing. (We learned our lesson on that.) I only show the Date:Item:Gross Sales:Discounts:Net Sales:Notes. I filter the "Items" to choose the vendor/vendors I'm creating the report for, sort the "Date" Oldest to Newest, and if the report contains multiple vendors, sort the filtered items A to Z. I copy and paste each vendors information to my report template that I created to take the Net Sales from the CSV and calculate the commissions we deduct. These reports are in one workbook for that pay period. So, it's important that you export and save the Detail CSV to be able to create the detailed reports you want. 

Message 9 of 20

When you click Create Item, do you put the vendor's name in the item name and in the Category?  

Message 10 of 20

Yes, we do. We add the initials of each vendor to each one of their items. It's mostly to make sure you've selected the correct item, because the category doesn't show up in the shopping cart once you've added an item. 

Message 11 of 20

How do you print a report for each vendor at the end of the month?

Do you manually deducted commission?

Thank You so much for all your help!

Message 12 of 20

Unfortunately you can't. You would think @Square could add this as a feature, especially since many others have requested it already. 

What you need to do is under "items sales" export the "Detailed CSV". Then, using excel or google sheets,  you can filter your results by category (vendor). Copy each "category" or "vendor" on to a new sheet. It's a pain in the butt, but the only workaround we know. If you have someone who really knows excel, they can write some code to automate the entire process. 

And yes, we used to manually deduct commissions in the excel spreadsheet. Now i'ts done automatically using excel. 

Good luck

Message 13 of 20
Alumni

@BricknBarn - Thanks for chiming in to help @JLK 🙌

And you're right - this is a popular feature request that we're continuously tracking. Some requests are bit more complex than others which may take longer to implement, but you can learn more about the Life of a Feature Request here.

Thanks for your continued patience as our Product Team tries their best to prioritize and consider all of our sellers' needs based off your feedback. Cheers!  

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 14 of 20

We have a brick and mortar flea market with over 50 vendors. We have set up each vendor as an item. Since we have vendors who rent booths and consignors who do not, we set a category for commission sales and a consignor category. The categories are really just for us to see what category is performing separately from the other. When a customer brings up their items, we enter the item under the item number that matches the vendor number on the tag. We add a note to each item entered that states what the item is. This will show up on the detailed report that you can pull. When you are ready to pull your reports, go to your reports on your dashboard and select item sales. Export a Detail CSV to an Excel spread sheet. From that spreadsheet, you can filter for each of your vendors separately. Once you filter for a certain vendor, copy the report and paste it to another spreadsheet. Add columns to tally the gross sales, the net sales after you pull your commission, and a column that shows the commission that you pulled. The formulas to calculate your commission will be like this example: If your gross total of sales is on cell H12: =H12-(H12*.1)  This will deduct 10% from the gross total and result with the amount minus the commission fee. Hope that helps.

Message 15 of 20

Hi just started square for our consignment antique store, would you call me to talk please.

Bear Meadows

Junk In My Truck

Message 16 of 20
Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Community, @JunkInMyTruck

Outbound calls cannot be made through the Community. 

You can reach out to our CS Team directly for any questions, if you like: 1-855-700-6000 squ.re/contactsqsupport

Or did you have a specific question you wanted to ask here? 

I will keep an eye out for your reply👀

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 17 of 20

Great information.  We are looking for the best way to work with multiple vendors.

Message 18 of 20

Trying to figure out the best way to set up inventory on the free

POS to try out square. I have a store with store owned inventory and also sell for other people as well. I need to figure out the best way to set it up to have my store inventory in the system but also have a way to easily know what my consignors sold Monthly so I can pay them. My current POS system is set up with consignor number and item number. So its like 126-1 ( thats consignor (126) 126-1 red sweater $25.00. 126-2 antique vase $125.00 etc.  Do I enter as them as vendor? Also, Is there a way to clear out everything and start over? inventory , sales ... everything. I am still using my old system while I try to lean this one. I just wasnt sure if I list them all as a category? Vendor or just use sku? 126-1 . Any help is greatly appreciated

Message 19 of 20
Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Seller Community, @Avenueantiques 🎉

I moved your post over to this thread where other Sellers have been discussing the best way to do this. I also found a couple other threads that may be of interest to you: 

Using Square for Consignment Sales

How Can I Ring Up Multiple Vendors on One Square Device

Hope this helps you out! 😊

Message 20 of 20