x

Is there any protection if a customer tries to reverse charges on their credit card?

We are a transportation company, we have every client sing a contract. The contract states that if there is a mechanical failure that the time will be made up if it was able to be resolved, we had this happen and got the repair done and made up the time. Customers had been drinking heavily, at the end of the night they still owed the tip in cash and refused to pay, even after the driver went above and beyond to make the night go special. I offered the customer to bare with us and we could complete the run, I also offered to end run now and refund money. I also tolde them that if we complete the run then the money was do. I also have a wedding to do for the same customer in a couple of weeeks, which still has a balance.

Message 1 of 6
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Hi, Sorry to hear about your experience. Square has a team of representatives to advocate on your behalf should a payment dispute be initiated. For security purposes, I will follow up directly though email with more information regarding your account.

For a more thorough explanation on the dispute process, check out this awesome Help Center article! 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Best Answer

Hi, Sorry to hear about your experience. Square has a team of representatives to advocate on your behalf should a payment dispute be initiated. For security purposes, I will follow up directly though email with more information regarding your account.

For a more thorough explanation on the dispute process, check out this awesome Help Center article! 

Message 2 of 6

My business has had charge backs for customers who paid either in person or via invoice online.  How do we protect our hard work?  Is there a protection program?  We lost a $600 transaction because the person who picked up the goods says they don't know what the charge was so the bank took the funds back from us.  We had photos and 35 emails between the customer and our business proving they knew what they wanted and asked for.  

Message 3 of 6

i am afraid to take square payment for LARGE Orders, what if someone buys something for $5,000 and then decides they want to file a fraudulent claim, like they didnt buy it, or they just dont want it anymore...would they get their money back??? up to a certain amount i think i am covered. ??

Message 4 of 6

Hi @tabbyartie,

Understand where you are coming from in this area, it is always good to protect yourself and your business as best as possible from liability. Square has put together some really nice documents on how to 'Protect Yourself from Scams and Frauds' and 'Best Practices for Accepting Card Payments.' You could put some policies in place, especially for orders over a certain amount to go through extra verification.

Message 5 of 6

We had to change how we accept credit cards. We now do paper signatures on transactions over $25. We also have an order form in which we ask the customer to sign as well acknowledging that this is what they asked for. We have a separate part for another signature accepting the pick up. Then we wrote notes about the transaction at the bottom and keep all those documents for 3 months. We also have a cctv camera which we record as well. Unfortunately these horrible customers have made us go this long route to protect ourselves. We just recently won 3 charge back cases with all of the data above. Everyone works too hard for customers who have no intention to pay. It’s unfortunate square does not support us better. Now we have boxes and boxes of records just in case. 

Message 6 of 6