x

Sorry, the card you have selected could not be charged to pay this invoice.

Client getting error when trying to pay with credit card. The first invoice failed due to, To Many Attempts. Now not working at all.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Hello @bfleak, it sounds like your customers card was declined when they tried to pay your Invoice. After three declines the Invoice will come back as failed and you will have to send a new invoice. 

A decline can happen for a number of reasons, but with invoices the most common is information entered incorrectly. In situations like this it's best to reach out to your customer and ask them to contact their bank. The bank can confirm all of their account information and make sure their account is in good standing. 

If you have any other questions please let me know! 🙂

Message 2 of 6

I am not clear on if this is a declined card. Recurring invoice, tried using the MC client has on file - got a clear 'declined' - tried using the AZ client has on file and got this message. Just says 'can't be used for the invoice' - no mention of it being declined. 

Message 3 of 6
Admin

Hey @KathyFriend, welcome to the seller community.

Apologies for the confusion with this messaging—I'll surface your post with our Point of Sale team and point out an opportunity to improve this experience. It sounds like your customer may need to try a different card or update their payment information.

If you're still encountering any issues with getting this payment to go through, I would suggest touching base with our Customer Success team—they'll advise on next steps.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 6
Beta Member

I'm getting the same thing with 2 of my clients. It may be debt cards for both... The card on file worked fine last week...

Message 5 of 6
Admin

Hi @ClericAaron, sorry for this late reply. Square isn't informed the reason a card is declined. If they haven't already your customers should contact their bank to see what happened before you try charing the card again. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 6 of 6