x

Can I change the currency to accept payments outside the US?

I am going to Mexico how do I charge in Pesos to my customers??  Can I use my USA Square account in Mexico?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Super Seller

Your Square account can't be used outside the borders of the United States to process credit cards. So you will not be able to use your Square while in Mexico for credit cards.

Message 2 of 13
Alumni

Hey there @gelas 👋

@VanKalkerFarms is spot on! Your US-based Square Point of Sale account will only be able to accept credit card payments while you are physically in the US. However, you can still use your Point of Sale app to accept cash transactions while traveling internationally.

It may be helpful to set up a new account specific to Mexico (so your currency will show in pesos). The global version of Point of Sale will only be able to process cash transactions. 🇲🇽

Message 3 of 13

Help! Staff just informed me that because my point of origin is USA Today can't use in UK. This is insane! I have a booktalk on Friday and I didn't see any notice that I wouldn't be able to use this Hardware in another county. It's the whole reason I bought Square. 

Message 4 of 13
Alumni

Hi @HearkenToAvalon - I'm so sorry to hear about this frustration.

The regulations governing credit card processing are a little different in the UK than they are here in the US. Each Square Point of Sale account can only process credit cards in the country the account is based. 

If you are eligible, you are welcome to sign up for a UK Square Point of Sale account to use when you're across the pond. 🇬🇧 

Message 5 of 13

Is it possible to use Square Point of Sale in St. Lucia?
Can I use Square Point of Sale in the Caribbean?

Message 6 of 13
Alumni

Hey there @skye74592 👋

You can use the global version of Square Point of Sale if you are conducting business in the Caribbean. This will enable you to use the software, but keep in mind that credit card processing will not be available for global accounts. We also have a community enabled for international sellers, be sure to check it out. 🇱🇨 

Message 7 of 13

How do I charge in different currencies? Is there an option to change this using square?

Message 8 of 13

Hi @DCNIA,

Square charges the currency of the preferred country you set up when creating your account. Your customer's bank will do the currency conversion for them. Currently, multiple currencies are not allowed with Square.

Something else you may find helpful: Your Point of Sale app can be used to accept cash transactions while traveling internationally.

Message 9 of 13
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @DCNIA 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community with your question! We are happy to have you. Welcome!

Matt is correct, here. Your account will be registered to a specific origin country to process transactions, therefore you will not be able to use it outside of that country. I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also curious about this as well for recording keeping purposes.

Feel free to hit us with a reply if you have any clarifying questions. We are here to help!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 13

I want to change my currency to Philippine Piso. Can you do that for me thanks.

Message 11 of 13
Admin

Hey @Mrtaurus252837!

The ability to charge your customers in different currencies with Square Point of Sale is not available. You’re unable to change the country of an existing Square account, but you’re always welcome to open a new account and select any supported country. The country of your account will dictate the currency symbol and currency formatting of your Square Point of Sale app.

If you decide to create a new account, you’ll always be able to log in to your old account if you don’t disable it. But if may be helpful for record-keeping purposes to download your transaction history from your previous account.

Note: You must be located in the country where you activated your account to process card payments.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 12 of 13

Hi,
I'm in Cambodia which uses two currencies Khmer riels and USD. Squares automatically set me up with riels but I need to use dollars as most businesses use dollars. Is there a way to change that?

Message 13 of 13