x

Extra charge to customer card $0.01, why is this happening?

My clients has been getting an extra charge of $0.01 to the total.

Why is this happening? I have refunded the penny back to them just because. Has square been hacked? 

Message 1 of 10
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

you can look at the transaction here to see what the 1¢ charge is.  https://squareup.com/dashboard/sales/transactions

could be an errant press of a custom amount (keypad entry) for 1¢

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Super Seller

can you give an example?  what was the transaction amount before completing a transaction, and what is shown on the transaction menu after you have completed the sale?  What is on the customer's credit card bill?

Message 2 of 10

The transaction amount was 75.00+35.00+20.00+0.01=130.01

I rarely use cents in my charges.

I do apply the state tax so that is added in the total. I dont know if they got charged the penny. But its on their receipts so I'm assuming they were charged. 

Message 3 of 10

Also, before the card was swiped, the penny was not added to the total. It seems to have appeared afterwards. This happened twice, last Saturday Jan 20th and this Saturday Jan 27. I thought that was strange that it happened on both Saturdays.

Message 4 of 10
Super Seller

Best Answer

you can look at the transaction here to see what the 1¢ charge is.  https://squareup.com/dashboard/sales/transactions

could be an errant press of a custom amount (keypad entry) for 1¢

Message 5 of 10

I thought that might be it but happened twice on both Saturdays raised an eyebrow. Ill be extra careful punching in the numbers especially on Saturdays. Hope it's me and then problem solved. 

Message 6 of 10

Did you ever figure out why your customers were charged 1 cent extra? I’m new to Square but I’ve also been charged by them 1 cent over 2 days. The transaction popped up on my bank statement online. I haven’t even had a chance to use the app yet. Im

concerned about using the app now because I don’t want my customers getting charged. If it’s a processing fee or what have you that I missed a notification about then that’s fine.

Message 7 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Mbrown021386

I don't have an exact cause for this issue. It looks like it might be an accidental push of the key, after reading through the comments. If you're experiencing something like, you can call in to our Customer Success team to take a look at this (1-855-700-6000). Please keep in mind, you will need a customer code to get an advocate on the phone. Here is the link to get that code: squ.re/howtocontact

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 10

Having same issue! Not hitting incorrect key! Waiting for customers to complain!

Message 9 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @c4beat thank you for reaching out and bringing this to our attention. Sorry to hear that you've run into this issue.

To gather more details about this $0.01 charge, I recommend the tip @VANKALKERFARMS shared in the Best Answer post at the top of the thread about checking the Transaction details first.

If things still aren't making sense after taking a closer look at the transaction, please reach out directly to our Support Team for further assistance. They will be able to look at your Square account and transactions with you and can also escalate this issue to our Engineers if necessary. Unfortunately, we do not have these capabilities here in the Seller Community.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 10