x

My mag stripe reader won't read a card. Tried four different cards.

I have had the square for about three months and seems like a lot of trouble.  Chip reader does not work consistently so I turned off chip cards to swipe them.  Now, after a month and a half of that, the swiper/mag stripe reader is not recognizing any card.  Have tried five different ones.  Need some help before I switch to another service.  

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Just tried it in my iPhone and it works.  Just not working on the iPad.

Message 2 of 7
Square

Sorry to hear about the trouble with the readers, @KickstartPeg

Good to know about the iPhone; that helps us narrow down the issue to the iPad as opposed to the readers themselves. 

Most issues can be resolved with the tips in our Support Center; namely I'd ensure you do not have a case that blocks the reader on your iPad, and have the latest iOS software is installed. 

If you've ran through all those tips and you're still having trouble, contact our team directly so we can take a closer look.

Message 3 of 7

I have used the card reader on my samsung tablet for two years now. Tried it today and would not read the card I needed to swipe. I need to be able to do this, what do I do now?

Tom

Message 4 of 7

Hello @gwlzboy, have you tried the troubleshooting steps in the article @Spenser mentioned above? 

Message 5 of 7

THanks Chad,

I had tried all that, even checkd for updates. I plug in the reader, my tablet recogonizes it but just wont read the card. After a couple of attempts, it wouldn't even let me manually enter the card number.

Message 6 of 7

@gwlzboy, whoa that's weird. Did you see any type of error message on your screen? 

Message 7 of 7