x

Does Square Register API has 10 merchants restriction?

I am developing an app which uses inter-app communication to invoke Square Register for processing customer payments. The app is intended to be used by other users (merchants) to process customer payments to their square accounts. The FAQ here (https://docs.connect.squareup.com/articles/faq/) says that "By default, the Square OAuth API lets up to 10 Square merchants authorize your application to access their data". I am wondering does this only applies to the Square Connect APIs or it also applies to the Square Register API? I only plan to use the Register API to process the payments and have no plan to retrieve merchants related data. In other words, my app only calls the "square-commerce-v1://payment/create" end point and once the payment is completed it will redirect back to my app. So I don't really think I need to use the OAuth API and is not limited by the 10 merchants restriction with this usage pattern. Does anyone know? Thanks. 

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Square

I'm going to check with our API Team on this one for you. I'll be sure to follow up shortly! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 7
Square

Happy to report an update. We can up the limit to 500, at present. If that works for you, we can apply this change to your account. Just let me know! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 3 of 7
Square

@flyingtiger - We went ahead and adjusted your limit to 500. Hope this helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 4 of 7

Thanks Sean. This is great.

Just to clarify, so merchants (customers of my app) are not required to go through the authorization process as long as there is less than 500 of them. Is this correct? Once my business grows to more than 500 merchants, do I need to contact you back to increase the limit? Appreciated it.

Message 5 of 7
Square

I'll double check with our engineers on this follow up quesiton. Please hang tight (or loose)! 🤘🏻

Sean
he/him/his
Message 6 of 7
Square

Here's the scoop, any merchant who wants to use their application will have to go through the OAuth setup process in order to grant the application privileges to do things for that merchant. Developers are limited to 500 merchants. If some has more than 500 merchants using their app, then they would contact us directly to discuss options. 

Hope this helps!

Sean
he/him/his
Message 7 of 7