x

How to integrate sharethis button in your weebly site

Hi,

Anyone knows how I can integrate share this button in my weebly site? I am trying to add a section in one of my pages for example a quote section that has social media share button to share that quote. 

I tried shared this button but does not know how to configure it such that the quote will be shared/fetched not the whole url of the page.

Anyone can help?

here are the codes that I got with share this

1. Install sharethis.js on your website

Copy and paste the code below into the <head> tag of your website.

<script type="text/javascript" src="//platform-api.sharethis.com/js/sharethis.js#property=59872eeaf3e12d0011719621&product=inline-share-buttons"></script>
COPY

2. Copy and paste this code wherever you'd like your inline share buttons to appear

<div class="sharethis-inline-share-buttons"></div>
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Square

Add the first part to Settings > SEO > Header Code, then add the second part to an Embed Code element on the page you want it on @rl0160. It may or may not show in the editor, but should show on your live site.

Message 9 of 8

thanks adam,

but my follow up question is how can i tweak it a bit more so that a portion of my page can be shared instead of just the whole url. For example I would like to add a simple section for quotes. I want the quote to be shared (fetched) when I click the share buttons. 

Maybe there is some basic embed code that I can integrate. 

http://www.sharethis.com/support/customization/customize-share-urls/

Message 9 of 8
Square

If it's a regular page, put the quote you want included into the "Description" SEO area for the page on the Page tab. That should cause Facebook to use that text with the share instead of whatever it scrapes from the page.

Message 9 of 8

Hi Adam,

It seems your recommendation is not working, besides if I add the text only in SEO description then it will not be visible in website. is that correct?

what I would like is a feature for quote, where I can update a section in the page for quotes everyday so that visitors from my site can share those quotes in their social media accounts. 

Message 9 of 8
Square

You could add it to both places (SEO description and on the page itself). Before re-sharing to facebook you'll want to have Facebook scrape the page again with their debugger tool:

https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/

If you don't Facebook continues to use older cached info.

Message 9 of 8

Hi Adam,

Thank you for your response.

That seems a workaround for facebook. But twitter is not fetching the quote I added in seo description. 

My initial idea is that, in facebook, the quote will be passed to the "Say something about this" field of facebook when you click the facebook button. Same goes with other social media share buttons.

Also if I will use that workaround in facebook, I have to edit my SEO page description for the qoutes, update the quote somewhere in the page and then scrape it with the facebook tool. Is there anyway it will be less tedious, atleast post the qoute in one area only?

Message 9 of 8
Square

Hmm... I can't really thinking of a better way right now.  There are other ways to automate sharing, although I don't know that they would provide any more control. For example, IFTTT has integrations like that:

https://ifttt.com/applets/417587p-post-to-twitter-when-you-publish-your-weebly-site

Message 9 of 8