x

Notify reply comments checkbox, not working

I am using the default for commenting on my blog. The checkbox option at the very bottom, to be notified of further comments via email, cannot be checked. I've tried it on two different computers, one using Chrome as browser, and the other, Firefox. Both have failed to check the box.

See blog: http://www.gullygrove.com/blog/new-platform#comments

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Bumping up, in case it got forgotten. Smiley Happy I'd like to go live with my site asap. Just waiting to resolve this issue.

Message 23 of 39
Square

Did you submit a ticket to support? The only other thing I can suggest is to try removing the third party app "Back To Top" to see if that is blocking the checkbox. I don't see any other custom or embedded codes and your theme is on a standard theme at the moment. Can you create a new test blog post to see if the error happens on a new post? I can also do this for you, but would need permission to publish. 

Message 30 of 39

I was still operating under what you said formerly, "If you revert to a standard Weebly theme and still have the issue we can escalate a ticket to support for you. " If you weren't intending to escalate a ticket to support, why would you suggest that's what you'd do? Did Adam get a chance, to take a look at the problem?

Message 30 of 39

Deleted, double post

Message 30 of 39

Nevermind. I've decided to go with the Disqus comment box. Thanks. Smiley Happy

Message 30 of 39
Square

I took a quick peek and there was. CSS rule that was hiding the default browser checkbox with a different one. I don't know if that was our own styling or not, though. It looked like the box was actually being checked and unchecked, but was hidden so you were seeing a custom styled box. Switching to Disqus is definitely an easy way to get around the issue, though.

Message 30 of 39

Thanks for taking a look Adam. What you said makes sense. After trying everything already suggested, and a few things of my own, I wondered if it was the (Stay Updated) newsletter-like form, that came with the original, standard theme. It was different to the Newsletter form, you insert while building a page. As that one mentions, ticking a box to receive promotional material. I wanted the one, that didn't - the original, that came with the theme. 

As the original Newsletter form, borrows from the same subscribe by email code (only without a checkbox present) I wondered if it was flagging other checkboxes with a blank too? It's the only element, I didn't try removing. As by that time, I decided to go with Disqus. Just a guess on my part, but it seems to correlate to the hiding of checkboxes, you mentioned. 

Thought I'd share, in case it comes up as a problem for others. One more option to try removing. Cheers. Smiley Happy 

Message 30 of 39

Back again, Adam. I've gone live with my website and trying to get my existing audience to use the Disqus comment box. However, they're nervous to use it - as I suspected they might be. I have people commenting on my old blog, they don't want to comment on my new one. Because of Disqus. So I've reverted back to the default, only the checkbox still isn't working. Can you take a look at that code again, which might be hiding the default checkbox?

Message 30 of 39

Try this in the header code field for your blog page on the pages tab:

<style>
    #commentPostDiv #commentInputs .field input
    {
        -webkit-appearance: checkbox !important;
    }
</style>

That should make it use the default browser checkbox on the live site.

Message 32 of 39

Hi BJ, and thanks for chiming in.

I went through Pages tab > Blog > SEO Headings > and pasted the code :

<style>
    #commentPostDiv #commentInputs .field input
    {
    }
</style>

...under Header Code. Pressed publish, and the checkbox still doesn't check on the refreshed website.

I don't have a header on my blog page, but tried it under both Header, and No Header, types. The result was still a blank checkbox, on both. If it hasn't worked, maybe this helps to isolate what might be behind the problem?

Message 32 of 39

Weird... I see the code in the header area of your live site but it's not being applied to the element. Hmm...

Try this instead:

<style>
    #commentNotify
    {
    }
</style>

Message 40 of 39

Thanks for checking back in, BJ,

I was hoping that would do the trick, this time around, but it's still not checking the box, successfully. At least, with a visual, "tick". The actual service is engaged, if you click it once - but the tick doesn't appear. Which is confusing for new users, and makes my weebly site look unprofessional. Smiley Sad

Message 40 of 39

Smiley Sad It's so weird how it's not applying that. You have a custom theme, right? If so you could search through your theme's css for "#commentPostDiv #commentInputs .field input". 

There will be a rule in that which has  -webkit-appearance: none;

If you delete or comment that out it should get the same result. Well, successfully get the same result. Smiley Tongue

Message 40 of 39

BJ, I am customising a weebly theme. I thought I woud try deleting "-webkit-appearance: none;" from the main.less STYLES, just to see if it would work. Sadly, no change. It demonstrates consistency, at least. Whatever is overriding the default checkbox from appearing, isn't going to budge. I've put in a support ticket with Weebly, as Bernadette outlined earlier. But would welcome any suggestion, others would like to contribute. Hopefully, this issue can be fixed. Smiley Happy

Message 40 of 39

Weebly support will probably suggest switching to a standard theme, which probably would fix it for you although you'll probably need to re-do your theme customizations. I'm as baffled as you are as to why we can just override it. Sometimes CSS is maddening. Smiley Happy 

Message 40 of 39

I've already tried switching to a standard theme, and it didn't change anything. Only when the site was copied (as Bernadette did) would it affect the tick, in the way it's supposed to operate. I suspect it's a weebly code issue, and nothing to do with my css. As I was having this issue on a standard theme, only using apps from the weebly store. Perhaps it's an app? Five days have passed, since submitting a support ticket though - maybe four days, accounting for overseas time. Thanks for your contribution though. Smiley Happy

Message 40 of 39
Square

We're getting a higher than normal volume of mail right now, so it's taking longer to send out replies than we would like. You should hear back from our team soon, though.

Message 40 of 39

I appreciate the heads-ups Adam. Thanks for letting me know. Smiley Happy

Message 40 of 39