x

There's no way to report Weebly websites that violate the terms of service!

There is no way to report a Weebly website for violating the terms of service (TOS) unless it is related to spam or copyright. In all other cases, Weebly expects you to file a lawsuit and obtain a court order, which places an unreasonable burden on ordinary people.

Since few people have the resources to file a lawsuit, Weebly's policy empowers users to violate the TOS with impunity. Weebly has effectively given itself a license to do nothing by remaining ignorant of blatant violations of the TOS. This is a cowardly act on Weebly's part.

The following website is promoting hate speech against the Jewish people:

---

The web page uses the phrase "elite Jew pig" three times and rails against Jews in general.

I am expected to file a lawsuit and obtain a court order in order to bring this hate speech to Weebly's attention.

This hate speech violates Weebly's TOS, as described here:

https://www.weebly.com/terms-of-service

"Hate Speech: content that promotes violence or incites hatred against certain individuals or groups, such as race, religion, ethnicity, gender, or sexual orientation. The foregoing are examples, and not meant to constitute an exhaustive list of individuals or groups that may be the target of hate speech."

What is Weebly going to do about the hate speech being spread on its platform?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Square

You can use the form to report any site, @fwchapman. We can also report the site from our end. Thanks!

Message 11 of 10

What form?

Message 11 of 10
Square

Message 11 of 10

That form, as the name suggests, is for SPAM.

Message 11 of 10

@fwchapman 

Not looking to start any discussion here - but - you do realize that effectivly you have also "promoted" apparent hate speech by posting here and publisizing a web site instead of quietly reporting it - for example you could have sent a private message to a forum moderator instead of public!

Message 11 of 10

No, I did not realize that, but thanks for accusing me of being part of the problem. That's really big of you. I'm trying to fix a broken system, and you have nothing better to do than criticize the way I go about it. I'm already upset about finding antisemitism on a Weebly website and then seeing that Weebly makes it almost impossible to report. You're not helping.

It is incumbent upon Weebly to provide an easy and obvious way to report all forms of abuse, and Weebly does not do so. The only options on the Weebly contact page are these:

• Report spam, which does not apply here.
  • Report a copyright violation, which also does not apply here.
  • For all other abuse, Weebly says to file a lawsuit and get a court order to stop it, which is an unreasonable burden.

Here's the contact form: https://www.weebly.com/contact

TL;DR: Weebly needs to make it much, much easier to report a clear violation of the TOS. This is ludicrous.

Message 11 of 10

As it turns out, there's a good reason why I did not know I could "privately message one of the forum moderators": because that isn't actually true. The forum moderators are unlisted. How can I possibly message someone I cannot even find?

What really matters here is that you made yourself feel important by criticizing someone else for doing the right thing. Weebly already makes it needlessly difficult to report abuse, and you are adding to that burden.

TL;DR: You are part of the problem, not part of the solution. You need to stop now.

Message 11 of 10

@fwchapman 

To send a Private Message in the Community...
Make sure that you are logged in
Click on your screen name top right of page
Click on Message
Click on New Message (top right)
The "Send To" field is an auto-complete field so start to type in User Name - in this case the name of one of the Mods
Seleect name from the drop down that appears as you type..

Message 11 of 10
Square

I've put in a request to update the wording on the form, @fwchapman. We haven't had an issue in the past with people using it to report negative sites, but I can see how the wording could be misleading. 

Message 11 of 10