x

When will a secure SSL option be available in Pro

I'm currently evaluating Weebly vs Wix vs Squarespace vs ? for both my site as well as my wife’s and am taking Weebly out of the running for 2 reasons.  The first reason is I'm not happy about them charging $10 for whois privacy when purchasing a domain.  This should be included due to many reasons, but I could get over it or get around it if I really wanted to.  The reason I'm abandoing Weebly as an option is the lack of SSL in the Pro plan.  I have a site built and was ready to make it a paid Pro plan and my wife was about to start building hers on Weebly as well, but I’ve been combing through the forums and there is no mention of when SSL will be available for non-business plans.  I don’t want to take the chance on it taking several more months or just not happening at all.  It just isn't acceptable for SSL to not be included when I can go to other builders who included it in the lower level plans.  I really like Weebly’s interface, but am not paying an extra $13 a month (x 2 different websites) when other companies include it.  It seems like other people are in my same situation and Weebly has to know once people build a site somewhere else, the odds of them moving to a new provider is very slim, so Weebly is probably losing a lot of customers/revenue over this slowness to adopt SSL.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Weebly seems to only make platform updates once or twice a year- my hope is this will be addressed in the next update.

Message 7 of 6

@jejjowens

Moderator Adam has posted several times stating that this will be happening but he couldn't give a date.   I suspect it will be in the near future though!!

Message 7 of 6

I hope it will be soon, but it's hard to dedicate time and money into something that isn't certain and I didn't see any recent updates (unless I missed them) with any firm details.  Was hoping by now, based on comments from weeks or months ago, Weebly would have a project plan in place, since they already have SSL enabled for the Business plans.  I'm testing other site builders now, so hoping before I get too far down the road with them we will get an update about when they may anticipate the change.

Message 7 of 6

@jejjowens:  Well I can help you with your privacy issue (Most people like goDaddy would charge extra for it anyway, so weebly is not alone).

Register your domain through 1&1 and buy hosting through weebly. 1&1 offers free private registration+free e-mail.  They also include free SSL certificate, but you can not use it through weebly though.

Squarespace may include it, but aren't their prices much higher?  You also do not get 10 free websites to play around. I have no idea of Wix pricing.

Message 7 of 6

I actually bought my domain this afternoon, so I have gotten over that hurdle.  It was way cheaper (only $13) and privacy was included.

Since I don't really need ecommerce options, the prices aren't drastically different when comparing the equivalent "Pro" type plans across the board.  I plan on purchasing a paid option from whichever option I choose, just don't want to pay double to get SSL from Weebly since the other "Pro" plan equivalents for the other companies include SSL.  I know it may not be the same for everyone, but for me an SSL connection is the #1 priority.

Message 7 of 6