x

How do I remove the Weebly cookie banner?

I know I’m a bit late to the party, but this is yet another GDPR question... I’d probably like to ditch the default Weebly Cookie Banner and use my own solution. I read somewhere (can’t find link) that I can do this by contacting Weebly (who?) and agreeing to some sort of waiver. I am not formally requesting this now; I would just like to know:

a) Is this possible?
b) Who do I contact, preferably via email?

Many thanks.

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

Hi KG100, what's the solution you have which works?  I'm at the point of closing down all of our clients' weebly services as their sites  are not GBGDPR compliant because of the weebly/onlinechioces.eu cookie set-up.  We can't be held responsible for enabling unsuitable content provision, and we absolutely will not continue with weebly if there is no solution.

@KG100 wrote:

Do we now know how to remove the Weebly Banner?

I have another better option which actually works and would like to see better and flexible solutions from Weebly. Then I wouldn't have had to look elsewhere. 

Message 29 of 28

Hi, sorry I didn't reply before. I didn't see your post.

Mypost wasn't clear. Sorry!

I have another Banner solution and the banner works well. However, the Weebly banner is still there. At least on phones. I don't see it anymore on my laptop. 

Best

K.

Message 29 of 28

When looking for info about the Weebly Cookie I have to go through all the Community chats. That's helpful but don't you have a page with all information regarding the Cookie Banner and which is updated as soon as something changes?

Message 29 of 28

In all fairness, and since I am the one that started this thread, I have to state that at some point in time my site (www.net-it.gr) started behaving correctly as far as Cookie Management is concerned.

I no longer have Weebly's first level Cookie Acceptance requirement in order for Cookiebot's choices to be permanent. Only Cookiebot's interface is presented to the user. Moreover, Weebly's own Cookie Opt Out button, which used to be essential in changing visitor's acceptance of Cookies, seems to be inactive now. 

Is this due to the presence of Cookiebot? I am not sure. I could do some testing on a demo site but in order to really test Cookiebot you need your own domain to be active, which requires a Weebly paid plan.

Anyway, I am glad Weebly decided to listen to our remarks and suggestions, even though I cannot find any documentation on it. Weebly GDPR help page (https://www.weebly.com/app/help/us/en/topics/gdpr-faq) sheds no light as far as the implementaion is concerned. Even the EU Customer Cookie setting has changed, although I am not at all sure what was written before.

Kudos to the Weebly developer team and to the policy makers for deciding to and actually settling this issue.

Message 29 of 28

George, have you found a way to remove the cookie banner?

I would be really interested to know.

I don't see the banner on my laptop anymore, but it's still on my phone.

I found what is supposed to be a solution but it doesn't seem to work.

https://www.cssdorks.com/2020/08/how-to-remove-weebly-cookie-opt-in.html#comment-form

Best

K.

Message 29 of 28

I have just received this message from the Weebly help.

Hello,

Due to the GDPR requirements around consent for cookies, you cannot remove the cookie banner and its consent feature from your site at this time. I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

Weebly Policy Team

Message 29 of 28

However, I see that I no longer have the Weebly banner on my laptop websites. Only when I call up my website on my mobile phone.
Not only that, I found some code from Zotabox in my Weebly "SEO FOOTER CODE". I hadn't noticed it before. I deleted this and now the Weebly banner (on the mobile phone) on this website has gone too.
Message 29 of 28