x

How to work with no theme or template with original Weebly editor?

Is it possible to create a Weebly page/site from scratch?   i.e. Not use a template or layout but just by dragging elements to the page.

I've been using Weebly for a few years but often find the layouts or themes can be very restricting.

I've searched for an answer to this question through Google etc. but so far no success.

Any help greatly appreciated

Art.

Message 1 of 14
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

You can kind of start from scratch by adding pages and deleting all of the ones with the Weebly template. I believe a brand new page would have a header image and a headline element, but the rest of the content should be blank. Click Pages, Add Page on the left, choose Standard page, name it and decide if you want header to show, then click Done. 

If you want to delete the headline element hover over it and click the X in the right hand corner. To change the background image click on it and Edit Background.

Hope this helps!

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Hello, and welcome to the Community!

Where the templates for elements are concerned, you can simply delete the pre-placed elements on any page with them, as they're all customizable. For Themes, however, you do need to have one in order to create the site. However, the pre-set pages and elements that come with some themes aren't required, so you can delete those and create your own if you like.

Message 2 of 14

Thanks for the info.   I'll give it a go!!

Art

Message 3 of 14

booooo we want start from scratch like WIX does
Message 4 of 14
Square

Best Answer

You can kind of start from scratch by adding pages and deleting all of the ones with the Weebly template. I believe a brand new page would have a header image and a headline element, but the rest of the content should be blank. Click Pages, Add Page on the left, choose Standard page, name it and decide if you want header to show, then click Done. 

If you want to delete the headline element hover over it and click the X in the right hand corner. To change the background image click on it and Edit Background.

Hope this helps!

Message 5 of 14

I added a page but how do I delete the other ones?    When I place the mouse on the word Home  About  Destination  Contact (next to the title)  those are live links (the cursor changes to a hand) and if I click on them it opens the link.  How do I delete those four pages?

Message 8 of 14
Square

Click on Pages at the top, then click on the page name on the left side. You can rename, delete, or copy the page. 

Message 8 of 14

exactly
Message 8 of 14

Yes, this is absolute genius! I'm glad you guys did this! You made it so easy to get a blank template.

Message 10 of 14

Message 11 of 14

Hello, @artpayne!

Unfortunately, it is not possible to use Weebly without a template/theme. Simply because there wouldn't be anything to drag an element to. The templates have boundaries because it needs to look good no matter if it is being viewed on a television monitor or a small cell phone. The templates are created using CSS files that control the overall look of the theme; scripts are used to call files and data to the site, such as blogs, stores, etc.

Now with all that said, it doesn't mean you cannot alter your template to your own liking. It does take some CSS and HTML knowledge to accomplish, but we have a website that is created specifically for developers and theme designers. It explains the interworkings of what makes a Weebly theme tick, the anatomy of a theme and what is required to make it a Weebly theme, so that it works with our drag and drop platform. There is even a blank sample theme that you can download on the link I provided below and import it into Weebly. Once you download the sample theme's zip file, do not unzip it.

First, create a brand new blank site with any theme. Then to import the sample theme, enter the editor for the newly created blank site. Click the 'Themes' tab and then 'change theme'. On the top right will be an import theme button. Click that button, find your newly downloaded theme and select it to import. After it has completed the import, apply it to your blank site. To access the HTML/CSS editor click the 'Themes' tab and select 'edit HTML/CSS' on the left. This will allow you to look at the HTML/CSS of the theme and play around with it, using the tips and tools we provide. If you mess it up, just start over by replacing the theme with the same sample theme you imported. It will be under custom themes in the gallery.

To get started go here: http://dev.weebly.com/get-started-with-themes.html

You can learn a lot about CSS and HTML coding by searching Google but  I included some excellent sites below.

http://learn.shayhowe.com/

Shay Howe is one of the masters of HTML/CSS and offers simple and easy to follow tutorials. One of the best I have seen and it's free. You can purchase his book here: https://www.amazon.com/Learn-Code-HTML-CSS-Websites/dp/0321940520?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Lynda.com video training (paid subscription) They have a free 10-day trial at the moment.

http://www.htmldog.com

HTML Dog is another site that provides free HTML/CSS tutorials and introduces you to javascript.

Try to avoid W3 Schools for the latest technologies.

I hope this information helps. Good luck!

Message 11 of 14

Thank you for the info, really helpful.

Can you or someone else enlighten me why should I avoid w3schools for latest techs? (started to learn web development stuff recently)

Message 12 of 14
Square

There's really no reason to avoid W3schools, @gustav - for most things it's an easy-to-follow resource.

Message 13 of 14

@Robin 

"To get started go here" Link is dead

Looks like this is the new correct link:

https://github.com/Weebly/base-less-theme

Message 15 of 14