x

Are Slide Shows Invisible to Google?

Was checking a site to see that alt text appeared under Google "text-version" on one site. Noticed that no slides were visible at all - let alone the alt-text.

Checked other sites with slide shows - and they did not appear.

I like slide shows as they create a nice user experience. Not sure why Google ignore them.

Any other experiences within the community. Anyone figure out how they can be viewed by Google?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Square

Do you have any captions entered for your slides, @ACn? I believe captions are also used for ALT text with slideshows.

Message 11 of 10

@Adam

Of course. The slides mean nothing without them.

The point is that I also put alt-text on them. What shows up? Nothing. Not even "picture". Google recognises an image, even when there is no alt text. And it does not see anything there.

(Also I have images ranked - so we know Google is retrieving these.)

Message 11 of 10
Square

What website is this for @ACn

Message 11 of 10

@Bernadette

I checked a few.

pollenation.co.uk

cameronsjones.co.uk

bossplumbing.net

The normal images are fine. Google recognises "picture2 where relevant. And also picks up the alt-text where I use it,

Thnx for your interest.

Message 11 of 10
Square

Are those all designer client sites, @ACn? I'm not sure if it matters but it's possible that might be why they aren't present.

Message 11 of 10

@Adam

Yes they are. And why would that matter?

To test I just looked at my site which is under my account. There is a slide show on one page, and it does not show up either.

Please check:

https://www.apollonialtd.co.uk/our-web-view.html

Thnx, Adam

Message 11 of 10
Square

Oh, I goofed when I said it was the caption text. Click the "T" option next to the talk bubble option for each image in the slideshow. That's how you add ALT text for each.

Message 11 of 10

Hi

@Adam@Bernadette

(Adam) I know where the alt-text is. That was the initial point . Google does not pick up the alt-text for a slide show.

However this is not a critique - but more an observation which everyone should be aware of. I have checked other sites, expensive designs with unique customizations. They have a different approach for recognition as the slides themselves (if with alt-text) are not picked up.

So simply putting in alt-text to a Weebly slideshow will not cut it with Google.

Message 11 of 10
Square

Thanks for the information @ACn. We can see if we can get any additional details about this as well. 

Message 11 of 10