x

Designer Platform: Duplicate Site in Development

I know how to make a copy in regular Weebly. How do you duplicate a site in development in the new Weebly Designer?

Message 1 of 18
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hi @NicMunoz It's been some time since your original post. I recommend reaching out to the support team directly to see if there's been any changes or updates to the way the site is copied. I know that we've had several users having trouble copying sites, but I wasn't aware that designer accounts were also affected. 

You can reach the team by scrolling to the bottom of our help center here

View Best Answer >

Message 19 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Square

Thanks for posting, @NicMunoz. Go to "Websites", click on the "..." button and choose the "mark as template" option. Next, click on the button to create a new site. You'll see an option there to use a template, and you'll find the site listed there so it will make a copy of that for the new site.

Message 19 of 18

I don't see the option to "use as template" in the three-dot drop-down menu. has the UI been changed? I used to easily be able to create a new site using an existing site as a template. but now I don't see that option anywhere. 

Message 19 of 18
Square

Hi @Shane90 If you click the three dots to the right of the site name(from the main dashboard) you should see an option to "duplicate". Is this the setting you are looking for? 

Message 19 of 18

@Bernadette No, I am looking to use an existing site as a template to build a new one. When I duplicate a sight none of the changes I make take effect when I preview or close the editor.  In the past, I was able to build a new site using an existing site as a starting point, but I no longer see that option. 

Message 19 of 18
Square

I think our WWD team recently changed it so you can't use an existing site as a template, and need to build a new site specifically as a template. 

Message 19 of 18

okay thank you for the clarification 

Message 19 of 18
Square

Not a problem!

Message 19 of 18

So there is no more ability to duplicate an existing site? In order to create a second site that looks exactly the same as a site I already have (as in, same layout, font, etc., just different content), I would have to build from scratch? 

If yes, what if the original theme I used is no longer an option? How would I get my websites to look the same?

This would be a deal-breaker for me. I need consistent branding across all sites within a parent company. Considering the new editor is already awful enough (the old editor was amazing...it was the whole reason I picked Weebly over competitors to begin with), I guess it may be time to move.

Message 19 of 18
Square

Hi @WaHooWa2010 Do you have multiple accounts? The account you are currently logged into is not a WWD account so the instructions Adam provided would not be relevant. 

All of the sites in your account appear to be using the older editor. Is there a site in this account that has the new editor? 

Message 19 of 18

I was asked to demo the product and give feedback a few months ago. Also, I started a site about a month ago and just could not get used to the new interface, so I deleted it and started it elsewhere. But I also cannot duplicate a site in the old editor either. I was told it was a bug (through direct email support), but it seemed from Adam like there was the possibility that this functionality was going away.

Message 19 of 18
Square

The threads can be a little confusing because we have so many different types of accounts and multiple editors. Adam is specifically referring to Weebly for Web Designers (WWD) and is different than the account you are currently logged into. It also sounds like the other account you created was using our newer editor (also different than WWD). I did confirm with support yesterday that there is a bug specific to your account that is preventing you from making copies of the sites. They asked me to tag a ticket for the bug so that you could be updated once the engineers have found a resolution. 

Message 19 of 18

Has this been updated yet?

I don't have the option to copy my site.

Message 19 of 18
Square

There have been no changes to that option for the designer platform so far, @Chococoa. Hopefully this is an option we can add, though!

Message 19 of 18

I'm back. Something has changed. I tried to duplicate a site that I had previously published but then unpublished. All of the pages are not duplicating, only some of them.  I'm not talking about blog pages. I'm talking about the Home Page?!?  Weirdness. 

Message 19 of 18
Square

Best Answer

Hi @NicMunoz It's been some time since your original post. I recommend reaching out to the support team directly to see if there's been any changes or updates to the way the site is copied. I know that we've had several users having trouble copying sites, but I wasn't aware that designer accounts were also affected. 

You can reach the team by scrolling to the bottom of our help center here

Message 19 of 18

I found out that I did not wait long enough. I guess I needed to let Weebly build the copy.

Message 19 of 18
Square

Glad to hear it is working for you now! Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 18