x

ads.txt to root

how do i add an ads.txt to the root directory so a gaming site i use can revenue share and track traffiic on my site

"You're required to create and update your ads.txt file in order to run ads on your website" is what the site says  

softgames.com

Message 1 of 92
91 REPLIES 91

Their reluctance to help and keep customers from leaving makes me wonder if they're doing something illegal...

Message 63 of 92

Sorry to hear about your earnings. It's funny how every single hosting website I contacted assured me that this can be easily done, and even without access to the root (some of the more expensive plans with root access were not needed they said). Unlike the cold, the unprofessional and the unpleasant message I received from Weebly's customer service which I don't even want to talk about. I want to put Weebly behind me, even if I have to start from scratch. After days of research, I will probably settle with bluehost or sitejet. They have some nice features for a very low price. After all, even if let's say Weebly miraculously fixes this issue, the internet keeps developing and more issues will arise in future. I would want to settle with a provider that keeps up with those changes and cares about their customers. 

Message 63 of 92
Square

I hear your frustrations, everyone, and we are doing what we can to properly relay this feedback to the teams. @Resystech What is the name of your affected site? It doesn't look like you have any sites in the account you are replying from. I want to include as much info as possible in my reporting.

I'm sorry to hear you had a negative experience with support, @Shadi. If there's anything more you would like to add you can post here or message me directly.

Message 63 of 92

That's because it's a new account, and only opened it so that I can figure out why ads are only showing up on my site 50% of the time, and what to do about it. resystech.com, renewablesystemstechnology.com. Renewed my subscription last month, for the 5th year in a row. I don't know why. It's one stupid problem after another, and I'm done. The next day off I get, I'm switching to a more reputable company. You folks have some of the worst reviews that I've read online. I should have done my homework... 

Message 63 of 92

I JUST switched my site to this and now I can't even earn revenue from ads. I was doing well and now my earnings are garbage here. I get like 0.14 cents or less a day because of this ads.txt issue now.
Anyone know any other places that has a decent website builder that can actually allow me to change my site over and upload the ads.txt file to a root like google requested?
I have ads on my site and where are the earnings going to?
The fact this hasn't been resolved for more than a year is insanity. 

Message 63 of 92

Thanks @Bernadette for relaying how important this is for many publishers. Hopefully real soon a solution will be made available for everyone (or for testing (hand raised to volunteer.))
Message 63 of 92

Is there any mechanism we can use to send OUR ads.txt file to weebly as flat-text file for Weebly to upload for us? I think many would be open to that.

On your teams end it would be an upload through the client's account, a simple scan for abnormalities, then a fast upload to our space. is that a possiblity? Create an incident ticket for tracking if needed manually.
Message 63 of 92
Square

I don't think this would be possible @wrightwaybiz. Are you having trouble using the ads.txt field that we added to the Settings tab in the editor? 

Message 63 of 92

I humbly admit that I had not made it that far through the blog post, and for that I apologize. 

I WAS able to get into the settings quite easily and made the intended changes. 

Thanks for saving my revenues!

-Dave

Message 63 of 92

First of all, I am pretty sure that Weebly would not solve this issue anytime soon. Adam has even tried misquoting Google to get rid of the questions. And I agree with you. Even if Weebly fixes this particular issue, there will be more issues and none of us can afford those risks with Weebly. So the best option is to get rid of Weebly. The best alternative is Wordpress.

Here you can find step by step guide to move your website to Wordpress or anywhere you want.

https://www.elegantthemes.com/blog/resources/migrating-weebly-to-wordpress-a-step-by-step-guide

Weebly posts importer tool - http://weeblytowp.com/

Message 63 of 92
Square

Can you point to where I misquoted, @Sohail? If I have something incorrect in this thread I'd like to edit the post so the info is current. We are looking into whether we can add something like this, although it's hard to predict or provide ETAs on when or if it will happen.

Message 63 of 92

Please edit the post where you said that Google doesn't make ads.txt a requirement. This is what you said about Google's view on ads.txt file -

"While Google recommends adding the Ads.txt file, they state in their documentation that it isn't a requirement."

So here you are misquoting Google. Read the entire paragraph, please. Google says it's not a requirement but it'll severely impact publishers earnings. So why are you just saying that it's not a requirement? Let people here also know that their earnings will go down to $0 without ads.txt as most of us have already started experiencing. BTW, what is the point of using Adsense if we are okay with low earnings or 0 earnings?

Here is the complete para from Google - 

Use of ads.txt is not mandatory, but is highly recommended. It can help protect your brand from counterfeit inventory that’s intentionally mislabelled as originating from a specific domain, app, or video. Declaring authorized sellers can help you receive advertiser spend that might have otherwise gone toward counterfeit inventory.

We strongly recommend that you use an ads.txt file. It can help buyers identify counterfeit inventory and help you receive more advertiser spend that might have otherwise gone toward that counterfeit inventory.

And remember the big red warning on the Adsense dashboard.  That message says not adding ads.txt will severely impact your earnings.

Message 63 of 92

Just want to chime in that this is affecting me as well. I've had a number of issues with what I feel are simple things over the years, and the willingness to help is always incredibly low.

This can't be very hard to implement, and it's obviously very important to your paying customers, so please do it.

Message 63 of 92

ADAM, it is when my ads are NOT SHOWING. Will this be fixed?

Message 63 of 92
Square

I'm not sure what comment you are responding to, @Jax-Stefano. Can you please clarify the issue you are having? 

Message 63 of 92

Let us know when this is fixed and how we can add this to our sites.  Google has given me a notice to update my site with the ads.txt or risk losing my profits.  AutoLooks.net

Message 63 of 92
Square

We have several eyes on this issue and will update thread as soon as we have more information. Thanks again to all for your patience. 

Message 63 of 92

I just got a notification from Google Adsense that I need to download their ad.txt file and upload it to the root of each of my websites but I cannot find any way to do that in my SEO settings. Please help.

Message 63 of 92
Square

Hi @revpennydean It should be available from the Settings page toward the bottom. 

Message 63 of 92
Square

Awesome! Glad to hear you were able to add it. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Message 63 of 92

Having the same issue. I have seen a significant drop in RPM from Adsense since the Ads.txt warning appeared with the threat of a "severe threat to earnings" . I will also be moving to a different platform unless this is fixed very promptly. Some of the inadequate responses to genuine concerns on this thread are concering.

Message 79 of 92