x

Can we 301 to blog page???

I want to delete a website page that ranks well and 301 to a similar blog post so viewers can use the comment form.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Square

Thanks for posting, @jasonwitt. You can create a 301 redirect for the blog page but not the individual blog posts. Unfortunately, it sounds like it is the blog posts that you need to have redirected. I tried searching for some older threads on here for more information to prove otherwise, but I haven't come across anything yet. I'll let you know if I do, though! 

Message 2 of 9

@Bernadette 

Redirecting to a certain blog post could be a requested feature

🙈🙉🙊

Message 2 of 9

According to this Weebly post it should be possible (but I've just had to do this myself tonight and realized it is not in fact possible to point to a specific blog url as it says):

Important: after you change the permalink of a page or post, you need to set up a 301 redirect. This will make sure that anyone who lands on the old URL will be automatically directed to the new URL.

https://www.weebly.com/blog/permalinks-and-seo/

Message 2 of 9
Square

Hi @ michaelm73 That's a pretty old article. The 301 redirect allows you to redirect to a blog page, but not specific blog posts, unfortunately. 

Message 2 of 9

Hi @Bernadette 

If they allowed it previously, why not now? Better for SEO to point to specific url rather than general blog page

Message 2 of 9
Square

I don't think that article meant to specifically imply that you could do that, although it's also possible that the author of it wasn't aware that you can't set up 301 redirects directly to specific blog posts.

Message 2 of 9

Apparently Google treats 301s directed to blanket url (like homepage or blog page) as 404 so not great:

https://yoast.com/seo-anti-patterns-301-redirect-all-your-404s-to-your-homepage/

Message 2 of 9

Google can be a pain in the derriere..  first they say u must have only one h1 tag   then after many years they say it dt really matter.   

Google has the answers to a lot of questions   BUT  its a computer who is only as good as the tossers who program  it.

Best get ur permalink set in stone, then no need to redirect.   Lmao

Message 2 of 9