x

Disable Weebly Subdomain Redirect

Yesterday I upgraded my free weebly site to a starter site and connected my personal domain. But the old .weebly.com domain still works as a link to the site. I would like to disable/unconnect this that way it does not redirect to the site from the old subdomain, as the site is for a buisness and I feel it is unprofessional.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Hello!

The redirect shouldn't have any effect aside from sending over people who enter the old address to your new site. However, if you'd still like it removed, a simple way to do so would be to make a new site under that address, then publish and unpublish it to break the association.

Message 2 of 10

I had the same problem. I tried to create a new site using the old weebly domain, but it says the domain is taken. How do I get rid of the old one?

Message 2 of 10
Square

You'll need to first switch back to the old Weebly URL on the Settings tab, then change from that to a different Weebly URL (this should free up the original one), then change back to your custom domain name and re-publish.

Message 2 of 10

A different Weebly URL. Do you mean change to an entirely newly constructed name and then change back to custom domain name and republish?
Message 2 of 10

As an example, you'd want to change the domain on the site from domain.com, to domain.weebly.com, then to differentdomain.weebly.com, before going back to domain.com. That should ensure everything is set back as it should be for what you need.

Message 2 of 10

Hi Queso,

Just walked through this process with Chris at phone support. The process does not work. I'm still getting redirect warnings on Google Analytics.

If you know a way to resolve this issue I would welcome your feedback. Refraining from writing a don't use Weebly article (they tell you organic search results but Google doesn't see your site) until I hear from you.

Zara

Message 2 of 10
Square

What domain name were you using before, and which one are you using now in which you're getting warnings?

Message 2 of 10

It is quite unfortunate that there still is not a proper solution to this four years later in 2020 

Message 2 of 10

I just spoke with customer service, and neither Weebly customer support nor the developers are able to disable Weebly subdomain forwarding which is quite regrettable. 

Message 2 of 10