x

Do I need to create a redirect when changing/updating blog categories?

Hi there, I cleaned up some of my blog categories (had far too many) and now I'm noticing them showing up as 'duplicate without user selected canonical' on Google Search Console coverage report.

Should I have set up some kind of redirect to prevent that? 

https://www.dotsleadership.com/blog

Thanks for your assistance!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Square

Hi @Dots 😊

Hm.. I don't believe it is possible to setup a redirect for a blog post or category page. 🤔

@whitemonkey is this something you have ever had to deal with from Google Search Console? I know your blog does pretty well with SEO, and I think you make edits and changes to it often. 

Message 2 of 8

hi @Bernadette    i have set up a redirect from a blog post   ex  /blog/map-of-un-member-states-visited   to a standard page....   but there is no  option to RD it to a blog post per se, just to the BLOG  

with Categories   on BLOG style pages.   if on a blogpost i delete the category associated with it, the category page still exists, just that there is no BLOG POSTS listed under that category though the category gets deleted in the side bar,,  if some one has the url still, it still works., just shows a blank screen. 

google search console is a pain in the butt   it does not like indexing weebly category pages  ;(((

i have been using standard pages for the last 2 years   as i started having multiple BLOG pages, BLOG, TRAVEL, HOSTEL REvIEWs    this was  bad idea.....  would recomend and use, if i started using BLOG pages again, only have 1 BLOG    and run it all off that, adding categories where needed.  

google is failing to index pages these days...   yet we are lumbered with google...  it has the biggest market share  yet fails to work correcty.     i have great pages with great SEO and they are still pending. google is a major head ache. i submit to BING as well..... i need every it of help i can get

thanks for the Thumbs Up      regards   Trevor aka whitemonkey  and nomadicbackpacker

Message 2 of 8

Thank you @whitemonkey for your added explanation. I agree that Google is a headache. I have one blog page with 5 years of content so I don't think I'm about to switch it now! I will hold hope Weebly will make some amendments to the blog to make it more SEO friendly. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 8

@Bernadette @Dots    not gonna change either    i 💗 weebly    

https://www.nomadicbackpacker.com/  appreciate some more traffic   

https://www.nomadicbackpacker.com/ 

Message 2 of 8

@Dots @Bernadette   but have discovered.... assuming u have the deleted the category within the blogpost, u can set up a redirect from /blog/category/promotion  for example to homepage or wherever...  Smiley Wink)

Message 2 of 8

Thanks @whitemonkey I have done that for a few of them that make sense to do so. Would have been better to redirect to a blog post, but that is not able to be done.

Message 2 of 8

Hello!

Exactly the same issue! 

I updated an old and one of our most polular blog article from March 2015. It appears in google search on first page showing the address of ".../archives/03-2015". Now it's lost. I wanted to do 301 redirect of the old address to an upgraded/updated blogpost but it seems not possible Smiley Sad just the general page.
Also, not overly important, but also all the FB likes are gone...

Hopeing for quick solution - we need to update some more but seems we cant change the date as well (not good for marketing though)

Message 2 of 8