x

Google Analytics no longer tracking file downloads

I have one file that visitors can download from my website.  When I first built the site (about 3 weeks ago), I tested it, using a dummy file, and Google Analytics tracked when I downloaded that file.  See this screenshot.  The last item on the list is the file download.

I am now ready to start promoting my site, and have added the actual file that I want people to download, and tested it again last night.  This time, Google Analytics did not track that download.  It tracked the page views from last night, but not the actual file download.  I don't understand why.  I did not change any of the GA code that is on my site, so I am at a loss as to why this would suddenly stop working.  I would love some help with this, as I had every intention to start promoting my site tomorrow.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Square

Did you make a new link for your file download, or just update the file used on the same link, @mcomp72

Message 2 of 9

I'm not sure.  I clicked on the Download button, and uploaded a new file to be attached to that button.  So I assume that means I updated the file used on the same link?  But I'm really not sure.  I am new to Weebly and don't understand how it works fully.

Message 2 of 9

Here's a link to a screenshot showing how I changed what file the Download button was associated with.

I am not sure if the test file that I had uploaded a few weeks ago might still be on the server.  If so, is it possible to delete it?  I don't need it up there anymore.  Could the fact that it is still present be part/all of the problem?

Message 2 of 9
Square

I don't think just replacing the file will do anything per se, although it's possible it might make Google think it already tracked you for some reason. Maybe you could try visiting it again in a different browser or with a private/incognito window so it tracks you like a new visitor?

Message 2 of 9

I did it from my Mac laptop (was using my Windows computer before) and also sent the link to two friends and asked them to try it.  They did, but in the "real-time" tracking area of GA, it is not showing anything about a file download.  It shows other events, but not the file download.  Here's another screenshot.

Message 2 of 9
Square

Hmm. I don't really see anything different with the site that should make it track it with on link and not another. Here's something you can test, though: try adding two new links on a test page of your site, and upload the original test file to one and the new file to the other, and then download both.

Message 2 of 9

Hey Adam.  I wasn't able to do the test you recommended yet, but I just looked at GA, and apparentely it is tracking the file download sometimes.  The file download number is up to 32 (I started promoting the page online yesterday) so obviously it's working... but only sometimes.  I wonder if with certain browsers it is not able to track it properly?

Message 2 of 9
Square

Ahh! That sounds likely, or that some of the people downloading might be blocking certain kinds of tracking. 

Message 2 of 9