x

Redirect not working

I changed my donaim name for my web site and when I published it, it said the old web site address would be redirected to the new address. However, that is not working. So I edited the site and under SEO and I manually added a 301 redirect to the new address, saved and republished, but it is still not working. If I try to go to the old address I get a 404 page not found error message. The old domain no longer exists, so I can't put a redirect page there. So why doesn't the 301 redirect work?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square

I don't believe the redirect will work if the domain does not exist. What is the name of the old and new url? Thanks!

Message 2 of 6

Message 2 of 6
Square

Thanks for clarifying and sorry for the confusion. A 301 redirect is used for the same domain name when you are switching host providers. For example, if you had your site hosted at Go Daddy previously and now you are moving to Weebly servers you can setup the 301 redirect to avoid losing SEO rankings. 

If you are just trying to forward your original domain to your new domain that would need to be setup with your current domain registar. 

Message 2 of 6

Thanks for the info. I will contact the domain registrar and see if they can help.

Message 2 of 6
Square

You're welcome @dmuellenberg

Message 2 of 6