x

SEO Post Description

Hey friends,

I had a quick question about how the "SEO Post Description" feature is supposed to work. I thought that the text I put in this box for each blog would be what search engines pull when my site shows up in the results, but this is not what I'm finding to be true.

Instead, when my pages show up in Google, I noticed the description was coming from the first line of text in the blog. So then I created my next blog entry with this in mind, and I led off with a brief summary statement of the article content above a "line break" (thinking the search engine would grab this line as with my others), but lo and behold, Google pulled the first line below the line break for the description. In other places, Google has pulled this description from the first paragraph under my "Step 1" about a third of the way down the page. For another entry, on my site.com/blog/category/all, it pulls the Title from one blog and the description from another blog!

All that to say, it seems inconsistent. Ideally, I'd love to have the SEO Post Description be where it pulls from. But if I've misunderstood that, I'd at least like to know where to expect it to pull from! Is it just impossible for me to predict?

Lastly... the only "tinkering" I've done with my code is changing h2 tags on my site to h1. Could that be my problem? Will reverting back help me out here?

Thanks!

Zac

P.S. Seems that something similar is happening here, but no solution was suggested.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Hello Zac!

Maintaining a default theme can make things a bit easier to troubleshoot, as some changes can result in unintended consequences. The various SEO descriptions in the settings should certainly be the ones that display, however.

Message 2 of 5

Thanks for taking the time to respond, Queso; I appreciate that.

I hate to complain, but it is very disappointing that this feature is not working correctly for all Weebly users. As I linked above, I'm not the only one to write about this. Unfortunately my pages look quite awkward on search engines since I can never pinpoint which sentence is going to populate the description, and there's seemingly no solution to fix it.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to it! I guess I will take down my h1 tags and see if that helps, even though I'd prefer not to have to do so.

Message 2 of 5

https://community.weebly.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/SEO/thread-id/2212/page/2

Hello R3deemed, first off you are not alone, this fault is weebly wide in every blog /\ see above, secondly I would not remove your H1 tags as this is not the problem. the problem is weebly blogs should be H1 and that also needs fixing.

Message 2 of 5

I have the same problem the first sentence will be show in google.

Message 5 of 5