x

Difference between Square Online Store and site with ecommerce

I'm confused about the difference between having an online store that I set up through Square and a site with ecommerce with a separate weebly account. Is there one that would be more beneficial than the other?

I want a site that's has ecommerce capabilities but also have other pages like style guides, etc. Ideally my inventory would sync with Square for in-person sales and online. Which would be better?

Message 1 of 16
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

If you have a Square account then you will want to make sure to create the account through Square. You will be able to create additional pages other than the store page. Smiley Happy 

View Best Answer >

Message 17 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Square

Hi @corrwong Can you clarify what you mean by "also have other pages like style guides"? Do you mean be able to create additional site pages that are not store-specific? I think this is what you mean, but I just want to double check. Smiley Happy 

Message 17 of 16

Hi, yes additional site pages that aren't store specific. 

Message 17 of 16
Square

Best Answer

If you have a Square account then you will want to make sure to create the account through Square. You will be able to create additional pages other than the store page. Smiley Happy 

Message 17 of 16

Great, thanks!
Message 17 of 16
Square

My pleasure. Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 16
Beta Member

The design capabilities when using the Square version of Weebly are extremely limited. Adding more design freedom should be of utmost urgency in this time of store closures, etc. The store is cumbersome to navigate when you have hundreds of items.

When can we expect access to the complete set of Weebly features?

Message 17 of 16
Square

Are there certain features in particular you are looking to see added, @helloash?

Message 17 of 16
Beta Member

Thank you for replying. 

With our inventory, it would be nice to have the ability to show smaller photos of items. And also have the ability to display al our inventory as a list. 

Message 17 of 16
Square

Would the smaller photos be on item pages themselves, or just on the list of items on the shop all page or category pages?

Message 17 of 16

I think I'm looking for something similar. We are setting up curbside pickup for food items, so we're using the online ordering template. It would be great to be able to have a menu item with its own photo that you click on, then when you choose a variation for that item, you see the picture of the variation you've chosen. For example, under the Category of Beverages, you could click on the Item called Soda, which has a picture of a bunch of sodas, then choose the variation Mug Root Beer and see a bottle of Mug or choose Pepsi and see that.

ALSO FOR THE LOVE OF PETE, PLEASE LET US ASSIGN DIFFERENT SALESTAX/VAT RATES TO DIFFERENT PRODUCTS AND SERVICES!! Can't you see how many people are asking for this all over your site? From all over the world? Year after year? Seriously, we need it. NEED. Not a minor issue. Different topic, I know, but I've voted and posted in all the appropriate places. So have plenty of others and you need to know this is a big deal. I'd write it in the sky, if I could. At least annouce it somewhere if it's a hard thing to do and you're working on it. It's bad business to seem like you're ignoring something so basic.

Message 17 of 16

Adam,

I'm new to all this.  I previously only lived in Wordpress and trying to migrate over to turnkey solution since I use square for sales in person and would like be able to offer local delivery. For about a year I've tried to run the square up online store as something separate from my Wordpress website and now I've chosen to dive all in to simplify my life. 

I prefer the Weebly based website builder and was able to set up an almost identical website to my Wordpress one in a couple hours, something I was never able to do with the square up builder.... but I'd like to have the delivery option that was recently made available on the square side brought over to Weebly based side since my sales are primarily by law limited to San Diego county.

Please advise

Message 17 of 16

Adam - 

The ability to customize CSS. I know you want to keep control of it, but for instance, not being able to simple things (buttons centered vs left justfied) would be very simple if you could override CSS code. 

Also, when using the sticky header nav, it sets the logo to visibility:hidden. I can make it visible in inspector and it looks great, but I was told it's impossible to make the logo visible on the sticky nav. if I could simply override to visibility:visible, it would make a world of difference. 

Is there any way around this? I even tried adding my own custom code in both a noscript and script tag (using javascript) but it seems like square doesn't allow it. I'm working on this for a client and it seems like there should be a little flexibility for those that understand how to do it.

Joe

Message 17 of 16
Square

Thank you for your feedback, Joe. I don't have any updates of when/if this ability would be added for the newer editor. Definitely happy to forward your suggestions to the product teams, though.

Message 17 of 16

This!! Why does literally EVERY other website builder out there allow custom CSS except this one? So frustrating, especially for what you pay each month. Talk about a blow to small businesses. Should be so easy.

Message 17 of 16

The fact that this message is from 2020, and Adam is asking about certain features being added gives me little hope for this platform. The fact that we can't even control padding and margins means I made a bad choice in switching over from my current website to the Square Online CMS. What I was hoping was to have my online inventory and in person inventory to be in sync, but I might as well just cut my losses and switch to Shopify.

The current iteration feels like a MVP a startup would choose with a limited budget.

Message 17 of 16