x

Where is the customer search Function for Ecommerce?

Hi, am i missing something?

Did some research with customers this weekend and it was bought up that it was not possible for them to search for a particular product on my store.... Surely i am missing it...cant find it either.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square

You'll want to add a "search box" element to your site if you'd like to give people the option to search. You should see it in the list of elements to the left in the "More" section. A few themes might have an option on the Themes tab to turn on a search box in the header, though most don't.

A good place to add the element is to your footer, that way it's shown on all the pages of your site.

Message 2 of 6

@Adam

Unfortunately the search box function is very unprofessional and does not work like any other ecommerce site I have ever encountered. The results when a customer searches for a product within a store should only return results of products from within the store.

Unfortunately, as I have pointed out before in previous posts, the search bar returns results from all over your website. Search parameters for site owners that want to only use the search box for product searches need to have the capability to be restricted to only show matching results for products only. My search bar currently pulls product pages as well as pages from other parts of my website that have nothing to do with my store. Also, the left column mess under "filter" is embarassing. Who wants to see 400 results in varying sizes in the left column? Enable limiting the search bar results to products only please and the ability to eliminate the "filter" feature completely from returning any results, which looks like my website is throwing up on itself. image

Message 3 of 6
Square

That's a valid point, @Creature. I can definitely see how a store-only search field would be preferred. Can you post that on our vote on features board?

https://community.weebly.com/t5/Vote-on-Features/idb-p/IdeaExchange

Feel free to post a link to it on this post to make it easier for people to find it.

Message 4 of 6

@Adam ,

I have posted this exact suggestion in Vote on Features before. Months ago. If weebly didn't limit it's users ability to see their own past posts, then I would be able to link you to it, but unfortuanately I don't have time to scrounge the forums and search to attempt to resurrect it. Maybe you as an administrator can do so. If you find it, give it a bump and I will articulate the problem yet again in the first vote on feature I already posted about this for changing the amateaur search feature here at weebly to something that isn't embarrasing and I will again post more visual examples. Thank you.

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 6

@Adam

found my original post, posted in vote on feature. Now what? Let it sit for another year? 

https://community.weebly.com/t5/Vote-on-Features/Search-Asset-inside-my-Weebly-Store/idi-p/1147

Message 6 of 6