x

Conversion tracking in Google AdWords

Hi everyone,

I have troubles connecting Google Conversions with my Weebly online store and it would be so great if someone could help. (Please note that "Conversions" in Google AdWords, which I am refering to, has nothing to do with the "Conversion tracking in Google Analytics or Google Analytics in general!) 

AdWords Conversions is a very important tool to optimize your AdWords campaigns and bidding strategy so I'm a bit surprised that the Weebly support team doesn't know about it or how to connect it.

In order to track Conversions directly in Google AdWords you need to to insert a "global site tag" between the  <head></head>-Tags of every site of your online store. I assume in Weebly it should be pasted in the "header section" field in "menue settings>SEO". 

Second you have to add the "event snippet code" to the page where the actual Conversion should be tracked. For an online store tracking purchases this would be the "order confirmation page" a visitor lands on after the payment. 

In Weebly I copied this event snippet code in the menue shop > settings> in the tracking field for "confirmation page".

As mentioned, it doesn't work. Talking to the AdWords support team Google can neither "see" my global site tag nor is the event snippet "firing" if a customer completed a purchase.

Thanks a lot for any help!

Clemens

Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44
Square

Thanks for detailing what you've done so far, @Clemens. You have the global site tag in the correct place, so that shouldn't need any changing. For the conversion tracking code, what kind of code is it? Is it something like this:

<script> /* some js code */</script>
Message 2 of 45

Hi @Adam,

Thanks for your reply. The conversion "event snippet" code is like this:

<!-- Event snippet for Placeholder conversion page -->
<script>
gtag('event', 'conversion', {
'send_to': 'AW-954341369/XdqjCJOzwngQ-a-IxwM',
'transaction_id': ''
});
</script>

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

C.

Message 3 of 45
Square

Do you know if the transaction_id is required or not by Google? After the colon you could add this:

{txid}

That should get dynamically replaced with a transaction id when the code is appended to the confirmation page.

Message 4 of 45

@Adam  @Clemens I'm curious if there was ever a final solution to this?  I've scanned through the community and help pages and there still seems to be missing a simple explanation, although it seems like it should be simple.  Here's the summary of my problem, which is pretty similar to you'rs, @Clemens 

• I have a basic ecommerce store using a shopping cart on Weebly
  • I'm trying to set up Google Conversion Tracking through Google Ads (Not analytics, which works just fine)
  • Google Ads gives you two snippets:
    • Global Site Tag:  Meant to be added to the <head> of every page.  It seems to me that in Weebly, the appropriate spot is to add this to the Settings>SEO>Header Code.  I should note that I also have a <meta name> added to the same section for a separate but needed Google Site Verification.  Maybe that can be deleted after google initially verifies my site?
    • Event Snippet:  Meant to be added to the <head> of the page that loads after the expected action completes.  In my simple shopping cart case, I assume this is the Receipt page.  Since we don't actually have the ability to that page, it looks like Weebly has conveniently provided a section for a snippet like this, found in:  My Store>Setup>General>Custom Tracking-Receipt Page.  
    • I've pasted the Global Site Tag and the Event Snippet as described above.  While I don't have any errors, Google Ads has not been able to verify this Conversion Tracking setup

Does anyone have any idea here, or has anyone come to some kind of solution?  It looks like Weebly has provided all of the necessary functionality to pull this off, but some detail is missing that i can not figure out?

Message 9 of 45

Did you get your problem solved. i am also facing the same issue. Weebly shoul have online chat facility to address these kind of issues. i dont know why they do not have proper customer support.

i am unable to track my google ad conversitons, tried all possible ways to ad the conversion code in my weebly site. but nothing happend.

please help how to add google ads conversiton cod in to our weebly website.

Message 9 of 45
Square

Hi @Vijaysurya We do have online chat support, although, it is only available while the reps are in the building. Mon-Fri 6am-6pm PST and Sat-Sun 8am-5pm PST

What is the name of your site and where did you place your code? 

Message 9 of 45

I've got this same problem, nothing in the forum is helping. I can't find any troubleshooting steps anywhere.

Message 9 of 45
Square

What you've listed is exactly what I would do in terms of where to place various code and snippets. I'm not sure why it's not working for you. Have you asked Google about it? They might be able to say why it's not working or what needs changing.

Message 13 of 45

Hi,

I am also having this issue. I don't have an ecommerce store though - so I have put the event snippet on the thank you page that loads after they submit the contact form.

Is this right? Do I still need the conversion code on this page too?

Message 13 of 45
Square

That sounds right, @littlegabba, assuming you also have the code that goes into the Header Code field also added.

Message 13 of 45

How do you get the Google Adwords Conversion tracking to work with Weebly? In the "My Store" section under "Tracking" I have been trying to get these Google Adwords Conversion tracking codes to work, as described in the original post above, with no luck. From all the forums I've read, I haven't found a clear solution yet.

My issue is the exact same as the original. Please help! 

Message 13 of 45
Square

What are the codes you are using, @CJ33? I'm not sure if Adam's suggestion helped the original poster because they never responded back. 

Message 46 of 45

Pls. see below.

#1: Under SETTINGS > HEADER CODE, I pasted this, as instructed by Google Ads:

<!-- Global site tag (gtag.js) - Google Ads: 762946676 -->

<script async src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?id=AW-762946676"></script>

<script>

window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || [];

function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);}

gtag('js', new Date());

gtag('config', 'AW-762946676');

</script>

#2: Under MY STORE > GENERAL > CUSTOM TRACKING-RECEIPT PAGE, I pasted this. **Here, I put the

{txid} that Adam recommended to put after the colon in the original code supplied by Google Ads didn’t work. (I will paste the original code as “#2A” for your reference.)

<!-- Event snippet for Sale Google Ads conversion page -->

<script>

'send_to': 'AW-762946676/0FNuCM2Bi6wBEPTI5usC',

'transaction_id':{txid} ''

});

</script>

#2A, This was the original code supplied by Google without the  ” {txid}  “

that was suggested in the forum.

<!-- Event snippet for Sale Google Ads conversion page -->

<script>

'send_to': 'AW-762946676/0FNuCM2Bi6wBEPTI5usC',

'transaction_id': ''

});

</script>

Message 46 of 45
Square

It's time like this I really wish I had my own GA account setup and connected to a store. Smiley Sad You said you tried both ways, right? With and without @Adam suggestion? Can you clarify a bit further how or why you believe the codes are not working in the first place? Is this supposed to track something on checkout? 

Message 46 of 45
Square

The reason I ask is because I believe there was some sort of issue with checkout tracking/pixels not working after a specific conversion. I believe the issue was resolved, but it's possible you saw the error during this time frame. 

Message 46 of 45

I put the event snippet on the "Custom Tracking - Receipt Page" of the Weebly Store. The only way someone would reach this page is if they buy something (i.e. a "Conversion" from my Google Search Ad). This way, Google would track it as a "Conversion" for my ads. 

Thanks for your help Bernadette.

Message 46 of 45
Square

Not a problem, @CJ33 I just wish I was more of an expert on the matter. It sounds like you have everything where it is supposed to be. Is there anyway you can test it out, or would it not work for you because of you IP address? Can you take a screenshot of the Google Search Ad so I can see the terms used to prompt the ad to display? Maybe if we make a zero dollar item in your store we can try to test the entire "flow" to verify if the info shows up in your GS account. 

Message 46 of 45

@Bernadette , I have tried 3 different times and they are still stuck on "Unverified" status in Google Ads.

Pls. see attached screenshot for the "Unverified" message on the Google Ads page under "Tracking Status". Per Google Ads: "Unverified:Google Ads will verify that your conversion tag is working within a few hours of tag installation". 

Also, I created a $0 item in my store for you to test. Pls. tell me what to do next.image 

Message 46 of 45
Square

It looks like you've got everything added correctly. Have you had any purchases where you know for certain that the purchaser clicked a Google ad to visit your site and then purchased without leaving or taking another action which might clear their session?

Message 46 of 45

I am struggling with the same issue as the original post. I know for sure that I am getting conversions from my adwords buys, but google is unable to "verify" the existance of the tags and cannot connect the conversions to paid clicks.   

Message 46 of 45