x

Shipping calculated flat at certain weights

Hi folks,

I addressed this issue on May 26 first with the Weebly help team to no avail and it just happened again I just got an order for $354 and the shipping was not calculated at all, it switched to a flat fee for all shippers and the customer just got charged $10 for shipping.

Subsequently I will have to eat about $100 in shipping cost for this order, since I don't want to loose either the order or the client.

This is a real serious issue and the Weebly tech team needs to address this urgently. THIS CAN'T HAPPEN AGAIN!

I replicated the same order under my wife's name and it calculated faulty again. The total shipping weight is 166 pound.

When I created a case at the end of May the weight was 140 pound, so I changed the weigt on these particular plants, added two pounds from 20 lb to 22 lb for example and than it calculated correctly.

On today's replicate order, as soon as I add another plant to the replicate order it calculated correctly and charged for the correct shipping fee on USPS, UPS and FEDEX.

Did anybody encounter this kind of problem, this is my second time, normally all shipping calculation just works fine, very much stumped by this one. Weebly Techs? Anybody?

Thanks

Wolfgang

Wolfgang Marquardt
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Square

Sorry to hear that, @wooffi. It looks like you're using Real-time Shipping with backup rates set to $30. Was this your set up when shipping charges were not calculated correctly, or did you set this up more recently because of that?

Message 2 of 16

Hi Adam,

No, I had it set to $8.00 USPS and $10.00 UPS and FEDEX. This happend to me before, that time it was weigh specific to 140 lb, that was in May, this time it is absolutly weight specific to 166 lb. I can change the order and as long as I end up at 166 lb the caluculation for all carriers goes belly up.

I did ope another ticket, but it's the weekend. So I will be patient. But this needs to be addressed. In May I changed the weight on all my items so that a straight 140 lb caculation would be a slim chance, from 20 lb to 21 lb and similar.

But this last order hs me puzzeled. Attached a picture of the replicate transactions I did.

Thanks for your attention on this.
Wolfgang

imageimage

Wolfgang Marquardt
Message 3 of 16
Square

I did a little digging and found one other person who had the same issue as you, which is currently being looked into by our engineers. I updated the ticket with your site and screenshots in the event the cause is different from the other person.

It looks like something about the quantity/weight causes Shippo to not return any rates, so our system defaults to whatever backup rates you enter.

Message 4 of 16

Adam, the other person was me in May as well. I can't believe nobody else had this happen. It happened again to me when I replicated an order for somebody who's weight was calculated wrong.

It went to default no matter what I did, So I re connected to 'Shippo' and all was fine after that. So there is truly something going on with 'Shippo'. It also might be that my shipments are unusually heavy.

I am also not quite sure how the default box works, when I changed it from 10x10x10 and 70 lb to 48x10x10 the shipping cost went up in the calculation. Wondering if that might be the culprit.

No word from the techs, But they made good by giving me 3 months free hosting for my loss on that order.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Marquardt
Message 5 of 16
Square

You're right - somehow I had actually missed the information about what customer it was and only focused on what the issue was when reading the bug ticket (not enough coffee...).

Box size sounds like a plausible theory; maybe there's something about the smaller size that Shippo doesn't like.

Message 6 of 16

So the shipping calculating problems are going on. Never did get a result on the non calculating issue above. But now another problem popped up. It makes me think that some changes had to be made at 'Shippo'. The shipping is calculated pretty much correctly for let's say for a 8 pound package, but even there I had to change the cost adjustment to +10% for postal, 0% for UPS and +40% for Fedex. I am connected to both accounts UPS and FEDEX so I am getting my reduced rates.

So as said I am getting ok calculations with an 8 pound package for example. Going to four items and 32 pounds the rates are totally off. UPS calculates $22.50 while my Weebly clients are charged $58.96. I don't know how to fix this, might have to set up my own rate calculations Amazon style.

I am sure I am loosing customers left and right when they see these shipping charges. I just got the exact above order of 32 pound weight and will instantly refund the client $40 since he got charged $56 for the plants and $65 for shipping.

Bad problem in my opinon. I might start a new subject for this issue.

Wolfgang

Wolfgang Marquardt
Message 7 of 16
Square

Sorry to hear that, @wooffi. Hopefully the bug ticket should have a resolution soon. It does sound like the issue is with how Shippo is handling a specific combination of box size and products.

Message 8 of 16

Adam,

Thanks for your reply. I found a temporary solution and will talk to 'Shippo' directly. For now I am leaving the carrier calculated options in place and added my own rates calculated by price and call them Standard Rates. With light weight orders the three carriers come out better. With larger orders and heavy weight my 'Standard Rates' come about what UPS and Fedex actually give me with their prefered rates.

That should work well and hopefully I will not loose any more sales due to high shipping rates coming up for my clients.

Wolfgang

Wolfgang Marquardt
Message 9 of 16
Square

Thanks for letting me know what you're doing as a workaround in the meantime. It's always hard to know what customers will think of the price of shipping. Having shipped and received large and oddly shaped items in the past (I'm a musician), I'm more familiar with what it can really cost to ship something and likely have more realistic expectations.

Message 10 of 16

Hi again,

So after getting all mad about the problem, and having refunded several customers now for over payed shipping fees, finally I tinkered around today and I think I am happy with a workable solution. 

Here is the trick:
Real Time shipping set up for all my carriers USPS, UPS and FEDEX. 
Next the default box, still 10x10x10 and 70lb. But and here is my solution change 1 item per box to 2 items per box.

Now I can minipulate by checking on old order charges the cost adjustment by percentage for each shipper. In my case it came out to 0% USPS, 5% UPS and 40% FEDEX (FEDEX is calculated as 'Ground' but I have to ship most 'Home Delivery', closer to the UPS fees). I also try to avoid FEDEX, the have more complicated pickup rules for me.
So there it is, I am able to have this as a viable solution.

A little side note, while figuring all this out I tried 4 items per box, which made the shipping fees too low and 3 items per box did not work at all, every time I applied this shipping defaulted to backup shipping charges, so no go with 3 items.
I hope this helps somebody else.

Wolfgang

Wolfgang Marquardt
Message 11 of 16

Adam,

Just letting you know that I refused to give up on this. After many test order runs and two more wrong calculated order that I refunded shipping to the customers, I have now figured the solution. 

The culprit is the default box section, I tinkered with it over and over. What needs to be changed in there is not the size or the weight, that's fine for me but the number of maximum items.

I tried 2, 3 and 4. At 4 the calculations come out too low, at 3 the settings fail all together and switch to my default shipping rate, but 2 is coming out close enough to manipulate the cost adjustment section a little to get rates close the 'Real Time' cost with discounts I get from my carriers.

This has been a life saver. In my stats it stated that I had lost 10 orders in the abandoned cart over the last 30 days, 50 over the last year and right now orders are coming back in, 5 since the fix three days ago. I will assume this as a solution for now, until weebly comes out with an eBay style calculation, which is actually pretty perfect.

Wolfgang

Wolfgang Marquardt
Message 12 of 16

So I thought I had figured the solution. 

Thinking the culprit is the default box section, I tinkered with it over and over. Changed in there not the size or the weight, that's fine for me but the number of maximum items.

I tried 2, 3 and 4. At 4 the calculations come out too low, at 3 the settings fail all together and switch to my default shipping rate, but 2 is coming out close enough to manipulate the cost adjustment section a little to get rates close the 'Real Time' cost with discounts I get from my carriers.

This has been a life saver. In my stats it stated that I had lost 10 orders in the abandoned cart over the last 30 days, 50 over the last year and right now orders are coming back in, 5 since the fix three days ago. I will assume this as a solution for now, until weebly comes out with an eBay style calculation, which is actually pretty perfect.

Well, another day, I spoke to soon, just got another order, where the shopping cart defaulted to my fixed flat rate again. I guess I better change that from $30 to $50, so my shipping loss is not going to be so substantial. Starting to like the idea of building shipping into my price if this continues.

Wolfgang Marquardt
Message 13 of 16

I replicated above order and it did exactly the same, it went to default rate, doubled and tripled the order still flat rate. Change the weight on just one item, perfect calculation by all carriers. Obviously a weight glitch, Weebly, Shippo, are you listening? I submitted requests on this issue.
Wolfgang Marquardt
Message 14 of 16
Square

I just asked for an update on this, @wooffi. Sorry to hear you're still seeing it!

Message 15 of 16

Thanks Adam, I just submitted another request with the tech staff.

Wolf
Wolfgang Marquardt
Message 16 of 16