x

UK ISSUE WITH SHIPPING TO NORTHERN IRELAND

Although Northern ireland is part of the UK it costs considerable more to ship accross the sea to there. I have no way of setting up a different rule to make sure customers pay the additional costs. 

Isle of Man is also part of the UK but i am able to add a separate rule for ilse of Man so customers do get charged the extra shipping. WHY?? Surely it is common sense that shipping anything from mainland UK to Northern ireland is going to cost more. 

Why am I able to add a separate rule for the Isle of Man (which is actually much closer to UK mainland) but not for Northern Ireland? Tom make matters worse I have had to exlude NI from the shipping rule but Belfast which is most definitely in Northern Ireland is showing up as an England postcode. This means Belfast customers can place orders at a fraction of the true shipping cost and all I can do is hope that the massive amount of extra time spent manually checking all orders, does not miss one.

Sort it out Weebly! Look at a map!!! 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Square

I coudn't replicate what you were describing with a Belfast address, @Fedupwithweebly:

I used the address of a Library in Belfast to test with, and unchecked Northern Ireland from the list of options within UK shipping rates.

Message 2 of 16

I have an order on my website from Belfast that I had to refund. I have exluded Northern ireland as i cannot afford to ship there unless customers pay the extra.

Copied from my website on a live order  

belfast, ENG bt14 6du GB

As you can see it clearly stated ENG for England Not NIR  for Northern ireland.   Luckily we spotted this in manual checks but BELFAST is definitely not in England! 

Message 3 of 16

All a customer has to do is choose England from the drop down menu instead of Northern ireland and it lets the order through  regardless of the incorrect info! 

What kind of rubbish is that? 

So unless we manually check every order ( over 200 per day) we migh send an order and lose a considerbable amount due to the high postage! 

Message 4 of 16
Square

Just so I understand this correctly, your customer has to enter an incorrect version of their Northern Ireland address in order to do this?

Message 5 of 16

The person ordering from NI enter their correct address but instead of choosing Northern ireland from the drop down (which does say we dont ship there) they choose England instead. This allows the order to be placed on my website.

This means unless ther person doing the labels for shipping notices,  the order will be posted at a big loss to my company.

I have been on and tested several Northern ireland adresses and each time I choose england as my country of origin the order is processed. If I choose Northern ireland I get a message saying we do not ship to that postcode. This is a seriuos flaw!

Message 6 of 16
Square

I'm really sorry to hear you are having a problem with the shipping charges. You stated previously that you can make a rule for Isle of Man. Can you replicate the work-around issue you are having with Belfast? Or is it only Belfast postal codes that are processing using England? 

Message 7 of 16

That is my point!!!!

Isle of man is in the UK but is avaialbe to set up a different rule for.

There is no option to set Northern ireland up seperately as it has been clased as part of the UK. If I could set up a different rule for shipping like I can with the Isle of man I would not be on here complaining of the issue. I am in the UK, northern Irleland is an island sperated by a large expanse of sea. It is not geohrahically part of the UK so it is common sense that it would cost more to ship across the sea. You have managed to separate the Isle of Man in the shipping tab ( Also part of the UK but an Ilsand surrounded by sea!!!) but not Northern ireland which is much further away! Does any one look at a map???

Message 8 of 16

Why is NI more expensive than the rest of UK? I post letters and large letters to NI and IOM and the Channel Islands and its the same price as rest of UK - i use franking service through royal mail - unless I'm missing something?

Message 9 of 16

we send parcels wich can add upto 9-40kg split over several boxes. PArcelforce are our carriers. It costs more to ship over to NI, All courier companies charge more Smiley Sad
Message 10 of 16

If you are posting parcels it is more expensive to ship to Northern Ireland - I don't send letters - its all parcels of 2kg of more.  I use Parcel2go so get the cheapest courier at the time.  Northern Ireland is typically around £11.00-£15.00 depending which carrier you use,  whereas to send over 2kg to England, Scotland etc is aprox £8.99

UPDATE: all carriers have increased their prices and now NI is £17 ..... 

Message 12 of 16
Square

@Fedupwithweebly

I followed up with you via private message but I'm not sure if you saw the notification. I have reached out to several departments to have our team look further into this. I apologize for this situation you are in and I completely see what you are saying regarding the setup. 

Message 12 of 16

I am really sad to see that this was an issue back in 2018 and is STILL an issue now!!  Support's answer was for me to raise my shipping prices!!  

It costs around £8.99 to send a 2kg parcel within the UK - the same to NI would be around £17 at today's (2021) prices.  Support is therefore suggesting that I charge all my UK customers £17 shipping! I might as well close my business right now.

COME ON ... this is basic stuff.  NI has a big sea in the way - as do the Scottish Islands and the Isle of Man so of course the shipping is more expensive.  They are part of the UK politically but NOT in terms of POSTAGE.

Message 14 of 16

Question for you!! 

I'm trying to set up shipping rules for overseas as based in the UK .. having problems any suggestions as weebly not responding to my emails!!!

Many thanks

Message 14 of 16
Square

Sorry to hear that, @weeblywobbles. What kind of trouble are you having setting up your rates?

Message 15 of 16

I am having the same issues with shipping to Northern Ireland but I can't even exclude it as a destination so I have customers placing orders and I'm losing money each time!

Message 17 of 16