x

Weebly App of the Week: How Shippo Helps You Compete

We're excited to partner with Shippo as Weebly's App of the Week to get you prepared for the upcoming holiday season! Now that you know how to use the app, Shippo's marketing team would like to explain why Shippo is the best app for small businesses. 

What is Shippo, exactly?

imageShippo is a shipping API that helps ecommerce sellers on Weebly make shipping just work. Sellers use Shippo to automatically pull in order information, print discounted shipping labels, send email notifications, and track shipments. Check out some of the love Shippo has received from sellers in the Weebly app store. https://www.weebly.com/app-center/shippo

Shippo strives to help businesses compete with large competitors by providing them with the ability to offer fast shipping. We’re here to handle shipping for you, so you can focus on running your business.

What are Shippo’s values?

At Shippo, we put our customers first in everything we do, and we treat everyone we interact with moral integrity. Operating on a system of trust contributes to the expectation that everyone takes ownership over projects and sees them through from beginning to end to be successful as a whole. As a company, we set high goals and pursue them relentlessly.

We take compassion seriously. Everything we do at Shippo comes from a place of caring - caring for our customers, the company, and each other.

What is Shippo in relation to Weebly? What do you offer Weebly users? How did you start your relationship with Weebly?

imageShippo is an app on the Weebly app store that makes it easy for users to ship, access multiple shipping carriers, and get discounted shipping labels with USPS and DHL Express. Here’s how it works: we start with importing orders into the Shippo app, we then print labels for those orders, and have your tracking number sync back to Weebly.

Although, Weebly solved the technological hurdle of building a website for many businesses, Weebly merchants were still presented with challenges ranging from marketing to customer support. For their ecommerce businesses, shipping was one of the biggest pain-points brought to Weebly.

So with the introduction of Carbon, Weebly decided to bring onboard third-party experts, like Shippo for shipping, who can introduce one-click integrations that can help Weebly entrepreneurs solve the businesses challenges they’re faced with.

How did Shippo get started?

In 2013, when Laura, Shippo’s co-founder, then a German graduate student and tech worker living in San Francisco – launched her online store, selling sustainable handbags. The whole process  of setting up her online store was relatively seamless. She was able to find apps for processing payments, and generate sales. The only problem was, her trips to the post office were becoming increasingly frequent and, as such, a major time suck.

Laura was making two to three trips to the post office a day. She flagged shipping as a cost factor to her e-commerce business and was positive there were others that shared her pain. She began to look into the inefficiencies of shipping with Simon Kreuz (Shippo co-founder). That same year, she abandoned her e-commerce shop and by February Shippo was in business.

Where do you expect to see Shippo in the next few years?

We see a trend of small business owners starting to split their sales across marketplaces like eBay and Amazon, as well as through their storefronts. Our goal is to continue helping more and more small businesses achieve success through shipping. For instance, we recently became the official shipping platform on eBay Canada, and the shipping label partner platform for the eBay Guaranteed Delivery program.

---

If you have questions about Shippo or shipping in general, please let us know! @shippo-team has generously offered to help with any concerns you may have.

Thanks, and enjoy your day!

Erin

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Hi Erin,

Is it possible to use Shippo to set up different shipping rates for diferent regions inside a country?

In my case I have an online store where I need 3 different shipment rates based on address (postal code or city), that are applied automatically to the payment.

Kind regards

Belén

Message 2 of 8
Square

You can use different carriers to offer multiple options, but there isn't a way to choose which product will display which rate. Can you give me a little more clarification what you are trying to accomplish? What 3 shipping rates are you looking for?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 8

Hi Bernadette, 

Thanks for your answer.

In Spain there are 3 main regions, where you have different shipphing rates, this happens with all delivery companies:
- Main countryside, basic rate, let's say 8,00 USD.
- Balear Islands: a bit more expensive, 9,50 USD.
- Canarian Islands: more expensive, 11,00 USD.

I would like that whenever a client is buying a product, when they fill in the address, then the shipping costs are automatically calculated based on the region or postal code introduced by customer, and then the payment normal process.

Right now, my only option within Weebly is letting 3 choices, so the customer chose the right one manually, but this is not a very nice way to do it, the customer could make a mistake or chose the cheapest one, etc.

In other online store systems you can load a table with postal codes or regions by country, each of them with a rate, so the shipping is properly calculatead, this is what I need.

Kind regards

Belén

Message 4 of 8
Square

I see. So, yes, if you are on the Performance plan and using Real Time Shipping then the rates are going to be generated based on the postal code. You would need an account with DHL Express, Fed Ex, or UPS in order for the app to work, though. : / 

What is the name of your site? I'll take a look at your current shipping setup for you.

Message 5 of 8

Ok, so I need to upgrade from my current Business plan to another one in order to have this working? and what if I use another delivery company, spanish company for example? would that work?

My site is https://www.siropeshowroom.com/ is an online women clothes store based in Spain.

Thanks a lot!

Belén

Message 6 of 8
Square

I love the store! ❤️

I'm afraid the RTS feature of the Performance plan would not work for you. Smiley Sad Our editor only has the ability to connect to the USPS, DHL Express, UPS, and FedEx. However, it could be something we could put a feature request in for. Which carrier in Spain do you use?

As far as your shipping dilemma goes, the only thing I can think of (right now) would be to add some type of disclaimer in your shipping rules letting people know that they may be subject to additional charges depending on their area. It's definitely not ideal, but may be the only option for you unless we can come up with a work-around.

Message 7 of 8

Thanks a lot!

Ok, then there is no solution for this issue right now, I'm working with 2 or 3 companies in Spain, depending on the season, etc. but none from the list unfortunately.

I'll think about the disclaimer, but that means billing problems and more complexity, I don't see it as a valid option not even a workaround. From my point of view this is something that an online store system should have in place, maybe not automatic but configurable in some way.

I hope this feature is incorporated in the near future.

Kind regards
Belén

Message 8 of 8